New Zealand Day 2


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Twizel
August 18th 2013
Published: May 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I have totally lost track of the days. Today was jammed pack of learning and fun. Many of you know I always like an adventure and try something fun. It is winter here and snow is on the mountain tops. This morning several of us opted to take a jet boat ride. What an experience. We were given rain slickers and life jackets. It was a thrill ride where we went fast and did 360 degree turns and did get wet. We were on the lake between the mountains. It was breathtaking and a little cold.

This afternĂ´on we went to a sheep ranch. Again a real learning experience. They had some deer, sheep, cows on the land. We learned about sheep herding and how they trained the New Zealand sheep dog to round up the sheep. The sheep and deer fed from our hand. He also sheared a sheep. It was interesting to see how he sheared the sheep with the fur coming off in one piece. For those that don't know, new Zealand is where Merino wool is from. Lots of merino wool clothing found in the stores.

We have one young couple on the trip and I hooked up with them this afternoon. We went to an ice bar. What an experience. The entire place is ice with ice sculptures,an ice bar, ice glasses, etc. We had on put on parkas and gloves. The drink was delicious and the glass was made of ice. I asked how they washed the glasses and they indicated they are thrown away and they make new glasses out of ice. It was a great experience.

Tomorrow we are off for an all day trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb