Timaru


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
December 18th 2012
Published: December 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Timaru
The sun was up but we weren't and didn't get out until ten. We walked from the motel into town and had a mosey around. There's one main street with shops that extend some way with a departmental store and lots of gift shops and cafes. After stopping for the usual we went to post some cards then the library where you can get free Internet so we were able to connect to our travelblog and answer some emails and book somewhere to stay in Akaroa. Some of the buildings here are quite attractive and are Edwardian, but many are empty and in need of repair. We then went back for lunch, did some reading and then went to the park for a walk. It reminded us of Charlton Lakes but there were no boats on the lake, but lots of ducks. Returning we cooked supper and again ate it overlooking the sea. After we went down to the sea ostensibly to look for Penguins, we had a lovely walk but alas no Penguins. The beach has so much that is free for young children, a paddling pool, a funfair, swings and slides, a skate park, tennis courts, volley ball courts and the dreaded aviary. This one had two doors you could walk through to get to the birds and they had lots of room to fly but inside were more cages with birds in. This seemed more cruel as the ones in cages can see those that appear not to be in cages, I really cannot understand why we have to keep innocent birds in cages! Anyway the beach is huge and could be amazing but all over it is dead wood, some splintered, and on one side is a view of the container docks, from the number of empty hotels there's something that needs attention here.It was a warm day but not much sunshine however that was good as it made it more comfortable for walking and walking is great it means we can eat what we like - well almost!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb