Wandering people - wandering minds (Part 1)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Takaka
March 9th 2014
Published: March 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 6th March - left Marahau and headed for Golden Bay and onwards to Whararike Beach. En route we thought we would refuel and restock with food at Collingwood. The town was more like a sleepy hamlet complete with sleepy dog lying in the middle of the road - could have featured in a spaghetti western movie! The road skirted the Tasman Sea similar to the Carmargue but with hundreds of black swans instead of Flamingoes. Ran out of Tarmac and then on to gravel for the last 6km. Parked and set off on foot to Wharariki beach - WOW - amazing huge sand dunes which had been sculpted by the wind. Miles of empty beach ponded by the waves - would have been easy to have stayed longer.

Back in the van retraced our route (only one road in and out) then back across the mountains for a free camp on the mountain top overlooking Abel Tasman with Nelson in the distance (the town not the Admiral).

Friday 7th - up early to meet Dave the Bowman and shoot a few arrows! On our way down the mountain heading for Nelson a Lakes saw an interesting side road so did a quick detour to explore. What a lovely surprise we followed the River Riuwaka along a beautiful fertile valley (orchards with kiwi fruit, apples, plums and hops). The road came to an end in a beautiful tree-lined clearing with a footpath leading up to the Riuwaka Resurgence. This is where the river emerges from limestone caves into deep, clear pools - another matchbox moment. These pools are sacred to the Maori. Another place we could have dallied but we wanted to get to Nelson Lakes for our next overnight stop.

Back on the road through stunning wide valleys between 2 mountain ranges with gorgeous foothills supporting herds of beef cattle and a few sheep. Arrived at St Arnaud and found a little DOC site on the edge of Lake Rotoiti. BBQ some steak finished off the red wine and all is well with the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Riuwaka - crystal clear deep poolRiuwaka - crystal clear deep pool
Riuwaka - crystal clear deep pool

Fancied a swim but this is a sacred pool and the water is freezing!


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb