Invercargill


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Invercargill
March 2nd 2006
Published: March 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

HedgeHedgeHedge

Another example of the tall hedges used as windbreaks in the fields. Not always protecting an orchard, just breaking up the winds. This one hasn't been shaved in a while!
The city of Invercargill Invercargill is at the very bottom of South Island - yuo can't get much further south than here. Stewart Island is actually off the coast, accessed by scenic Bluff a short drive east of the city, but we didn't have time to go there and experience it, sadly.

The city is laid out in a grid pattern, with very wide streets and a feeling of spaciousness. The street names are mostly the names of rivers in Scotland.

This is a city which has not yet prepared itself for the potential of tourism. We did see a few interesting things on our historical tour of the city, but the downtown area is somewhat lacking in a welcoming appearance. The main local industry appears to be the plant where Keith works, the abbatoire where much of the country's lamb is processed and shipped worldwide.

In the Visitor's Centre there is a Tuatarium, where we observed the country's only successful breeding programme of the ancient species of lizard called the Tuatara

The babies are reported to be more active than the adults who watched us through the glass with stony reserve. In fact, they were statuesque.
Lawn bowls greenLawn bowls greenLawn bowls green

Invercargill has an active club near Queen's Park.
After hearing about them repeatedly I finally saw one, live.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Walk Through AviaryWalk Through Aviary
Walk Through Aviary

In the Queen's Park thre are exotic birds in cages but also one part where you join the birds in their big cage. Budgies and parakeets here with a few doves.
Birds up closeBirds up close
Birds up close

A dove - looks closer than I was because of the ZOOM.
Former train stationFormer train station
Former train station

This is one of the buildings identified as of historical importance on the self-guided tour. But it is now a privately run B and B so we couldn't see inside.
Cath churchCath church
Cath church

on Historical tour
Cath churchCath church
Cath church

on Historical tour
Cath churchCath church
Cath church

on Historical tour
Stations of the crossStations of the cross
Stations of the cross

done in an interesting twist: all images of hands.
Kiwi inventiveness againKiwi inventiveness again
Kiwi inventiveness again

Here, see how the parishioners are kept warm in winter without central heating. Pat figures the thick tube is a heater. It would keep people on their knees to keep warm! NZ is said to be very secular; many of their churches are suffering from a lack of cash flow.
On closer inspectionOn closer inspection
On closer inspection

the thriftiness of the artwork becomes apparent: particleboard varnished to a high sheen makes the background, the words pasted in a rectangle shielded from the varnish. Ah, that frugal Scots influence shines!
Keith my first cousin!Keith my first cousin!
Keith my first cousin!

Brother of Steve and Judith in Opotiki, Keith and his wife Christeen have lived in Invercargill for about 30 years.
Grand daugher SamanthaGrand daugher Samantha
Grand daugher Samantha

shares a seat with Pat in Keith and Christeen's lounge.
Christeen is recovering Christeen is recovering
Christeen is recovering

from a day at work, making a huge meal which we devoured and staying up late with us. We ate them out of house and home.
Waxy O'Shea's Irish pubWaxy O'Shea's Irish pub
Waxy O'Shea's Irish pub

in downtown Invercargill. Pat manages to find an Irish pub in just about every place we go. This has a beautiful interior.
Waxy'sWaxy's
Waxy's

could it be a former church? This made me wonder. Also, the railings forming high tables looked suspiciously like elongated communion railings to me. Must have been Anglican.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb