Maruia Pooier (aw shame!)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Reefton
October 16th 2008
Published: October 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Maruia Springs is the little sister to Hanmer Springs which was recommended to us by H as it is the less commercial of the two. They are natural rock pools with sulphur springs which make little hot pools for soaking in. I had forgotten about the fact that they would be sulphur pools and was extremely offput by the disgusting egg smell, never mind the black algae which floats in them and clings to you - add to that the sand flies and I have to say it wasn't top on my list of things to do here, but hey - we had to do it after driving all that way, and at least we know it's an experience we can probably give a miss in Rotarua. Actually I think Rich enjoyed it more than me (less of a big girl I suppose) and the private spa that we took looking up at the snow-capped mountains did make it worthwhile - that one at least didn't smell of rotten eggs! Natural water of course supposedly has all these wonderful properties, but I'm a bit of sceptic when it comes to these things anyway - I would prefer a nice hot shower with some soap...

Anyway we drove on to Reefton to camp for the night, and found it to be a mining town, absolutely no travellers there, just lots of miners in the pub eating huge portions of steak (we joined them as we had built up a big appetite floating about in black egg pools) and fishermen who were using the river to pull out brown trout I expect. We had a nice-enough meal in the pub, and found the locals much friendlier after a couple of drinks... by now the weather had turned and it was getting really cold, starting to rain even! Well, we were beginning to wonder why NZ is so green and lush. Still, we tucked ourselves up in our cosy little love-nest and weren't put off by the heavy rain and thunder crashing round us all night! Brave campers.

The next morning which is now today, we started our descent down the West Coast through Greymouth, Hokitiki (where the greenstone or jade is farmed) and down to the Glaciers. Unfortunately the weather has still not improved and now we have arrived at our campsite in Franz Joseph we can't even see the glacier! They tell us it is towering above us but we will just have to hope that the heavy low cloud clears tomorrow in time for our next adventure. We are booked onto a half day hike up the glacier in the morning which we will change to a 'heli-hike' in the afternoon if the weather looks clear enough to go. If we do the heli-hike it will be a helicopter up the glacier followed by 2 hours tramping around up there looking at blue ice caves and the like - sounds fab!

So we will sign off, it is definitely time for a drink 😊

Thanks for your messages, hope you are all well and happy back home.

Loads of love,

The Fryers!!! xxx


Advertisement



16th October 2008

Ooooh
Several blogs came in together today: FABULOUS - we are absolutely thrilled that you are having so much of the Great Outdoors and of course NZ is now even more firmly on my "list" than it was before! Treacle had to have a second operation, alas, so is collared up again - the first one came "undone" because it hadn't healed properly. She is not downhearted and taking the pills very nicely.
20th October 2008

Sounds amazing!!!!! We are in Port Douglas at the moment ane it is divine as always. Keep up the commentary we feel like we are there Lots of Love Lynne xxx

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb