Aching bones!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 8th 2006
Published: July 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wanaka seems to be a lovely ski/snow town - sat by the side of a lake with snow-capped mountains in the background. Has a funky little cinema with sofa's & even a reclaimed car you can sit in! Unfortunately there was only wierd NZ films on when we looked, so didn't bother, but it did look cool. Went for a Mexican (that traditional NZ meal!), and then a few beers with the Kiwi Bus to celebrate the driver's birthday! V. Apres ski!!

The journey to Queenstown was delayed by a false-start by the bus, so we had to walk to our 1st stop on the edge on Wanaka - "Puzzling World". This was literrally an attraction dedicated to all things puzzling! Some of our bus had a competition around the maze, in which me & Zoe snatched victory from the jaws of defeat!! They had a room with a wonky floor, which made things look like they were going up hill - v.bizzare, and made me feel quite ill!! Even the cafe had puzzles on the tables to do!

After stopping off to watch some friends bungy jump (no thanks!) we arrived in Queenstown. Staying at Southern Laughter hostel, which is really nice & quirky with free soup & a free spa! The rest of the Kiwi Exp bus are at a different hostel (Discovery) & by all accounts we made a good choice as they didn't have hot showers last I heard!!

We've spent the past 2 days riding the Cardrona Alpine Resort (snowboarding for all you uncool people!!). Awesome fun, but aching like mad after the first 10 minutes of falling on our arses!! We had 3 lessons each, and both picked up the basics by the 2nd day - so much so that we went up the chair lift & down the full-size beginners slope (having spent the 1st day on the nursery slope!!). I even learnt to do a trick (hand grab!). Still managed to keep falling on my arse tho! Having a chill out day today, as we're both knackered from the riding & the early starts (had to get the bus there at 7:20am); off to Christchurch tomorrow...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Bus buddies!Bus buddies!
Bus buddies!

One last night out for the team Kiwi Ex (Kick back & relax!)


9th July 2006

Snow falling
Well done Dan sounds like snow boarding came natural to you!! Zoe I am just impressed you went on a ski lift!!! All those times I had to go back down an esculator to coax you on ( while holding your younger sisters). Looking forward to your next blog. love mum
15th July 2006

g'day!!
Hey you too, can't believe I missed you by a couple of days! So gutted I didn't get to see you, I was really looking forward to it! I'm back in Christchurch now, brrr it's so cold!! Glad you're having a good time, you've packed so much in already! Stay safe and happy travelling!
16th July 2006

love your Blog
Hi Zoe and Dan Love reading your travelBlog,and seeing your photos, it all looks fantastically exciting, you's seen so much , one big adventure! Keep up the good work and enjoy, you both look well.takecare . love a. wen xxx

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb