Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
December 16th 2011
Published: January 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

16.12.2011

Headed to Queenstown this morning. First stop was to Puzzleworld, where we completed the worlds first 3D maze - was quite hard and confusing, but we completed it. We then went into an illusion room which played tricks on your eyes. We arrived into Queenstown about 3pm and checked into our double room for the next 4 nights. We treated to ourselves to an ensuite double and it was very nice. It had everything in it, TV, aircon, kingsize bed, balcony, fridge etc. It was far from the 8 bed dorms we had been staying in! We were able to unpack and hang our cloths up, which is very rare whilst backpacking. After sorting our things out we went for a walk around to get our bearings. Was a nice town with lots goin on, lots of shops (which Sophie couldn't resist going in and buying new clothes), and of course a lake. Whilst we were having our tea which was included with our stay our friend from back home Nic came to meet us and we arrranged to go out later that night. We had a good night drinking shots which were served in a tea pot!

17.12.2011

Extremely hungover so we didn't get out of bed all morning! Was very easy to as we had a T.V and a big bed. In the afternoon we had a another walk around the town killing time before our canyon swing which we had to meet for at 5.30. We met all the girls at the office and were very excited. Sophie was scared. They drove us to the shotover canyon were the swing was. The canyon swing consists of a 60m free fall then a 200m swing arc. Me and Sophie did ours in tandem side by side. We decided to jump off backwards which is one of the scariest ways (it had 5 underpants on the chart out of 5). The guys who strap you in and onto the swing were trying to wind us up and make you feel more scared. We shuffled to the edge turned around with your heels hanging off, then after 3 we jumped off. Sophie couldn't stop screaming during the freefall right down my ear! Then when the swing kicked in she started to enjoy it. I loved the whole thing. We got pulled in after dangling there for a bit and when we got the top Sophie was shaking. We bought the pictures and DVD and headed back the hostel. For being very brave I treated Sophie to a Fergburger. (Massive burgers with lots of different types to choose from). We took it back the room ate the burger, watched a film then went to bed.

18.12.2011

Milford Sound day trip today. Up early to catch the bus which would take 4 hours to get to the boat. We stopped off on the way for some scenic walks and take photos. The scenery round here was very nice. Snow capped mountains all around us. As soon as we got on the boat we had a buffet lunch, we filled our boots. We then started our 2 hour boat ride through the fiords, it as fantastic. Your eyes couldn't take in how huge the mountains were so close to the sea. We saw a waterfall which was the size of Niagra Falls but it looked tiny in comparison to the mountains. It was such a beautiful day aswell with no clouds in the sky. We then stopped of at an underwater observatory which was cool. Due to it being glacial and one of the wettest places in the world alot of fresh water runs into the sea. The fresh water carries sediment into the sea creating a divide. This meant that you find marine life that you wouldn't usually see in so shallow waters. M x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb