amazing nz trip Queenstown rockxxxxx:))


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
March 8th 2010
Published: March 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After we had a final look at Milford Sound, in a somewhat more moody cloak - misty, drizzly, low clouds, before heading up and over Homer Pass.We had a quick look at The Chasm, a deep gorge with a raging river running though it which had carved a deep cleft and sculpted the rocks.But first stop was Te Anau for a coffee and catch up with some business stuff.We also needed petrol so as we left we pulled in to a filling station.As E pulled the hose towards our car petrol started to gush from the nozzle.Other people in the forecourt looked in amazement as a petrol spewed all over the place and E screamed to turn off the pump.After what seemed like an age but was probably only a few seconds the flow of petrol stopped and the staff came rushing out in emergency mode to mop it all up and stop the petrol running into the road and drains.We had to push our car out of the way - in case of any sparks - and all pumps were switched off.As other people arrived to fill up we slunk off to find another, safer, filling station.It was all a bit scary, never had that happen before, and we had visions of the kind of disaster films where you see filling stations explode into infernos!

Once again another beautiful journey was had and soon we arrived at Queenstown.We'd had mixed thoughts about coming here because it is THE adrenalin capital of the world - the place where all the high risk activities are order of the day (bungy jumping, sky diving, white water rafting, canyoning etc -you get the picture) but we'd also heard that it is in a wonderful setting.So, we decided to stop here but hadn't booked any accommodation.What we hadn't reckoned with was that Queenstown is essentially an all year round resort and consequently accommodation was hard to come by and pricy. But we got a really nice room in the Queenstown Motel overlooking the gorgeous Lake Wakatipu, which confirmed that the setting indeed wonderful. The following day we wandered into town for our adrenqlin adventure - a ride in the Shotover Jetboat.This is apparently THE jetboat ride to do.We were bussed out of town to the start point at Arthur Point where we were introduced to the boats and safety rules.It really was a thrilling ride and experience where the jetboat shoots up and down the river at about 80 kms per hour, through narrow canyons just missing the sheer rock faces and doing 360 degree turns.We were all well soaked but with magnificent scenery to add to the thrills, we all thoroughly enjoyed.As a bonus we were offered an extra free ride on the new boat they were testing to replace the one that had been wrecked in a recent accident.Without thinking too much about that, we jumped at the chance - it was great!

Back in town we could see that not only was Queenstown in a fantastic setting, but also managed to develop in a sensitive way with old an new buildings blending in well together. Actually some of its architecture with its use of slate reminded us of the Lake District.It also has a fine range of shops, many of them catering for outdoor activities.We'd been thinking for some weeks that after nineteen months on the road some of our stuff needed replacing, particularly our footwear.Our Brasher walking shoes have done a sterling job but with 50,000 kms on the clock their tread, cushioning and general appearance have suffered.After much deliberation and consideration we both acquired new walking shoes (which essentially are for 24/7 use) which hopefully will provide us the same level of service as the Brashers.As with every shopping trip a few more purchases were made in the Easter sales. We ended the day with a really amazing "fusion crepe"at this cool crepe station called "Balaton Crepes" in Brecon Street, Queenstown - Nora & Joan should try this out when they're here later this year.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb