Town of gold - Arrowtown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
March 24th 2008
Published: March 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

on a walk in Arrowtown.on a walk in Arrowtown.on a walk in Arrowtown.

its in a lovely situation.
Leaving Queenstown, we drove up to Arrowtown for a few hours on the way to the next stop, which is Wanaka. Its a pretty little town, built on the goldrush and golden now for the colours of the trees, as we approach autumn. They have restored some of the old miners cottages and also rebuilt some shacks that the Chinese gold diggers lived in - rather smaler than the Europeans homes! It was a bit busy being bank holiday, so we walked out along the river before we had our picnic. After that, on a whim, I decided to take the mountain road over the Crown Range to Wanaka. Well...... a dozen nailbiting hairpins later, involving absolute sheer precipices and no crash barries whatsoever, we reached the top of the pass, which only turns out to be the highest sealed road in NZ.Still, the views were excellent - along the back of the Remarkables - and I'd stopped shaking by the time we reached the quiet hostel in Wanaka.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

treestrees
trees

are just turning
friendlyfriendly
friendly

neighbourhood gold digger
Chinese Chinese
Chinese

gold diggers hut
a quiet reada quiet read
a quiet read

after lunch. the picnic table was in the shade, so I sat on the grass.
view from the top.view from the top.
view from the top.

look carefully and you can see lake Wakapitu and Queenstown in the background.


25th March 2008

What a view!
That was worth the hair-raising drive wasn't it! It looks like you are on top of the world!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb