Queenstown Rocks!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
November 12th 2007
Published: November 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Whale Watching in KaikouraWhale Watching in KaikouraWhale Watching in Kaikoura

We went whale watcing in the coastal toen of Kaikoura. We had 4 sightings of sperm whale- really amazing sight... Unfortunately Pauline was violently sick for most of the boat journey as the sea was really rough that day!!!
Hi Everybody!!

We have been in Queenstown for the past few days and it is quite a city. We are enjoying it here so much that we have decided to stay a week and check out whats going on. Its definitely the adventure captital of New Zealand and we love it!!

Check out the photos of the past couple of weeks. So much has happened its been hard to pick just a few photos. But these ones we thought would some it up pretty well....

Again thanks so much for all the emails from everyone and Pauline's birthday greetings/cards- was very much appreciated.

Lots of Love

Pauline and Andrew xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Trams in ChristchurchTrams in Christchurch
Trams in Christchurch

Christchurch was a very pretty city. It looked quite English in its architecture. The weather was so good there we ventured out to the beach one day and had a dip in the sea.
Yellow Eyed Penguin in Otago PeninsulaYellow Eyed Penguin in Otago Peninsula
Yellow Eyed Penguin in Otago Peninsula

While staying in Dunedin we went on a wildlife tour of the Otago Peninsula. This area of coast really reminded me of the west coast of Ireland. We saw an Albatross Colony, a seal Colony and we visted a conservation beach- where we saw very rare yellow eyed panguins swimming out of the sea and running past huge sea lions that were asleep along the beach. We felt very privleged to be there. BTW the penguins were very cute!!!
Chocolate Factory, DunedinChocolate Factory, Dunedin
Chocolate Factory, Dunedin

What a way to spend your birthday. We went on a tour of the Cadbury's chocolate Factory for Pauline's birthday. We got to try lots of different chocolate bars as we walked round and at the the end we were treated to a massive chocolate fountain- very Willy Wonka!!
Mitre Peak, MIlford SoundsMitre Peak, MIlford Sounds
Mitre Peak, MIlford Sounds

This was possibly the highlight of our visit to New Zealand so far. We went on a boat trip around this area. Milford Sounds are Fiords cut into the West Coast of the South Island. They were created by icebergs cutting through the land during the Ice Age and are a nere 9 million years old! The tallest Peak on the left hand side is called Mitre Peak. We were both stunned at how beautiful this area is.
Stirling Falls, Milford SoundsStirling Falls, Milford Sounds
Stirling Falls, Milford Sounds

We got the best weather they had had in a long time for this trip, it was a beautiful clear sunny day but still very cold! The waterfall in the centre of the picture is apparently 3 times the height of Niagra Falls. Which gives a good idea of how huge the mountain peaks were.
Lake Te AnauLake Te Anau
Lake Te Anau

We stayed at Lake Te Anau as it was a good point to go visit the Milford Sounds from but was almost just as beautiful. We did a long walk around the Lake which took us forever and we got bitten to pieces by sand flies!!!
Pauline Chilling at the Bungy Backpackers, QueenstownPauline Chilling at the Bungy Backpackers, Queenstown
Pauline Chilling at the Bungy Backpackers, Queenstown

We are loving this hostel it is so chilled out and we are also loving Queenstown. The weather has been amazing since we arrived. We have even have even been brave enough to have a dip in the Wakatipu lake which was painfully cold!!!!
Paragliding, Crown Terrace, Q'townParagliding, Crown Terrace, Q'town
Paragliding, Crown Terrace, Q'town

We went paragliding yesterday. It was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon, the views were great but we just wish we got more time up there!
Andrew, Before the Nevis JumpAndrew, Before the Nevis Jump
Andrew, Before the Nevis Jump

Enough of the talking about it, Andrew just couldn't leave Q'town without doing the dreaded Nevis, the highest Bungy Jump in New Zealand- a mighty 134 metres high. Pauline on the other hand was glad to step down for this challenge!! The jumping station which you may be able to make out the background hangs on wire between 2 mountains with a river running throught he valley below. Not for the faint hearted!!!
Andrew about to Jump, The NevisAndrew about to Jump, The Nevis
Andrew about to Jump, The Nevis

Caught in the act! Just about to jump Andrew realised what the heck am I doing?!!
Andrew just after Jump, The NevisAndrew just after Jump, The Nevis
Andrew just after Jump, The Nevis

Phew! Still Alive!!! Wow what a buzz!!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb