Queasy in Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
October 4th 2007
Published: October 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

View from the mountainView from the mountainView from the mountain

Looking a bit chilly!
What's the best thing to do on a wet, miserable afternoon?
Go to the pub of course! It was cold and wet when we arrived in Queenstown after abandoning Milford Sound. We walked into the alpine-style village, which had a real ski resort feel to the place (well, ski season is only just about over here) and Rach announced she was just in the mood for a gluhwein. Then we were sent a miracle: the first bar we walked past was a cosy, little pub with a log fire and the Christmassy aroma of mulled wine drifting from its doors! So, we got ourselves nice and warm next to the fire with a glass or two. The only problem was the barman started giving us vouchers for every drink purchased to go in a prize draw for a free sky dive. Well, we all know how competitive Jase is - he was determined to win a sky dive by the end of the night. So we ended up staying all night, drinking handles of Speights and various malty lagers. Unfortunately, despite having a huge pile of raffle tickets, we failed to win the sky dive, much to Jase's dismay! The only prize we won were horrendous hangovers from hell the next day. Grape and grain! Will we never learn?

The Morning After
We felt pretty grim in the morning. Hurrah for campervans! They are great for hangovers, because you can just park up anywhere and sleep the beer off! It was kinda scary waking up to the eerie whine of the avalanche warning, which makes you think you have just woken up in a warzone. We felt refreshed after lunch and went up the gondola for a bit of fresh mountain air to clear our heads. Boo! It was snowing so the luge track was closed. We contented ourselves with the fabulous views of the town, lake and mountains instead.

Snowy white snow!
We drove to Wanaka through some fantastic mountain passes along the Cardona Road and Jase had to stop to throw a few snowballs at Rach. Fortunately they had gritted the roads so we didn't need to pop the snow chains on. We arrived in Wanaka and stayed at a lovely little site which had a free spa pool and sauna - perfect for sweating the last remains of alcohol out your system! Jase got really excited
Snow capped mountainsSnow capped mountainsSnow capped mountains

Lots of snow around here!
hiring Rocky IV, which we watched in the van on our mini DVD player.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The airportThe airport
The airport

Is hidden behind them there mountains!
The spectacular road to wanaka!The spectacular road to wanaka!
The spectacular road to wanaka!

Might have to get the snow chains out!
It's snowing!!It's snowing!!
It's snowing!!

Our first snow on the trip!


18th November 2007

Great view
Great view from the mountain. Who tried to kill Shaun? Oh look, the last photo of the poor creature is with Jason. Hmm.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb