Things that make you go hmmmm


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
October 17th 2007
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

New Zealand should be called New Sheepland. There are sheep everywhere! Just 4 million people and 40 million sheep in this tiny country - it’s astounding. There are so many different landscapes and climates on the South Island. In one day, we drove from lush green fields (full of sheep) to a drier, arid climate full of mountains and dry bush, through snow-capped mountains, to the small town of Kaikoura on the eastern coast.

Queenstown is the extreme sports capitol of the world. Bungy Jumping was created here - and there are so many crazy ways to fling your body around it's just amazing. Anything you can swing from, jump off, or hang upside down from has been done here.

There have been 2 major earthquakes here in the past week. One was 6.7 and the other was 6.2 along with dozens of aftershocks. I felt both of them, but I didn't realize they were earthquakes - they were in the middle of the night and I thought the person in the bunk bed above me was just moving around and shaking the bed. 😊 They are prediciting a big one to hit - just like they've been doing in California for as long as I can remember - so who knows when it will strike.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.6kb