Xtreme Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
January 12th 2007
Published: September 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Original BungeeOriginal BungeeOriginal Bungee

This is the location of the first commercial bungee operation.
Queenstown is known as the adventure capital of New Zealand. The world's first commercial bungee operation started here, and jetboat and other extreme activities abound. Unfortunately, the price for these activities is incredibly high. J "would have" bungee jumped, if it were not for the > $100 price per jump. You can go skydiving or paragliding in the States for cheaper than that!

We decided to watch the jumpers and jetboaters today, and get the feel for Queenstown, since we have several days here. The setting of the town is absolutely incredible, and has to be one of the most beautiful natural environments in the world. The town itself is quite a bit like Whistler - with many condos, hotels and cafes lining pedestrian only streets. Each day we saw street performers down by the beach - magicians, jugglers, etc. We recommend Patagonia Chocolates for ice cream, hot cocoa, and handmade chocolates....mmmm!

Our B&B was a cute little house run by a very nice retired couple. Murray was an accountant and a real kick in the pants. He went out a couple times a week for "pints with his mates", and would return each day from his adventures for a "wee sleep." J now calls naps "wee sleeps". Murray's wife, Barbara, is a great cook and prepared excellent breakfasts for us each morning. They even let us use their internet connection so we could do some blogging!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

No FearNo Fear
No Fear

This girl was 10 or 11 years old.
The RiverThe River
The River

The raft picks you up at the end of the jump.


19th September 2007

So great!
Your pictures are so fantastic! I love that one of the queenstown shore...the water looks so glassy - and the whole shot looks like a painting! Looking at your pics. of NZ really makes me want to go back and travel some more there!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb