Queenstown - Jump For Your Life!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 21st 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

OK guys, you might be getting sick of these emails but if it's any consolation, it's all coming to an end soon. Just a few more days in New Zealand (that really hurts) and it'll almost be over... Before this terrible moment becomes a reality though, I decided to do another crazy thing while in legendary Queenstown: the Canyon Swing.

For the uninitiated, it's like a bungee jump but once you get to the bottom of the canyon, you get into a swing...so you can marvel at the amazing views after being sh*t scared from the jump itself.

The platform is set 109 m. above the ground over rocks and a river that flows in a canyon. It's all fun and games until you walk up to that edge... The guys who work there are hilarious and they do make sure you're going to have a unique experience. The things they do to make you feel more relaxed are: pushing and shoving you while standing close to the edge, pretending they are letting you go and then catching you last minute, making out there's something wrong with your harness or the cable you are attached to or shaking you a little when you are on your way back up... Fun, hey?

I must admit...I was scared but you must not tell anyone! Skydiving is a walk in the park compared to this! The reason for this is that you don't really have to step out of the plane yourself - you are simply attached to a guy who knows what he's doing (you'd hope so at least). Bungee jump involves you standing at the edge of a platform and looking down only to see how bloody high up you are. It simply is against our nature to jump into that space, hence, the 1st few seconds are probably the scariest you'll ever get to experience. I actually would have loved to see my face when doing the freefall as I'm sure it showed pure fear. Some people screamed, some kicked their feet in the air (which was funny) but all of us thought it was wicked!!!

There is something liberating after doing this. Not many of us get to embrace this kind of fear, so if you ever get a chance, do it and scream as much as you can! I know I will next time and lose my stomach yet again!

Weekends in London will seem rather boring now. ;o)




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 7; ; mem: 1mb