Glacier Walking


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
June 26th 2007
Published: June 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Its snowingIts snowingIts snowing

Went in to the internet cafe by the time we came out everything was white!
We moved on from Kaikoura and stopped at Christchurch to pick up our plane tickets home, then travelled over to the west coast of the island. We stayed in Franz Josef and did a half day walk of the Franz Josef glacier. It had snowed heavily the day before so everything was white! I was wearing so many clothes to keep warm, i had my pyjama bottoms under my thin trousers, and then water proof trousers over them. Ihad 2 tops, a hoody, and a rain jacket on. Plus 2 pairs of thick socks, boots, hat, and gloves on. From the carpark where the bus dropped us off it took just under an hour to walk to the base of the glacier, then we put our talons on our boots and headed up the glacier. It was hard work, there were people up there already carving steps for us in the glacier - but the steps were pretty steep, they did have safety ropes for us at the parts when it was very steep and slippery though.

We saw some blue ice too which was really pretty and walked through some narrow gaps and up through a hole in
Best BuyBest BuyBest Buy

We bought a heater - I love it! We are warm again.
the glacier. Then once we were 1500feet (200 meters) above ground we stopped. Everyone was pretty knackered including me! We sat up the top chatting for a bit as we had a little rest and took some photos then we started heading back down the glacier. Going down was easier than going up but it was a bit scary because it is easier to slip. But we all got down safely. It was a really good experience. We did the walk back to the carpark. Our guide was Gavin, and there were us 3, a girl from Denmark, a father and son from India, and an English guy.

It was too late to leave Franz Josef that day, so the next day we headed off stopping at Lake Matheson on the way. We walked half way around the lake to a view point and it was well worth the stop, you could see the snow-covered mountains and trees towering above the lake, and then you could see them reflected in the lake - very pretty!

We Made it to Wanaka that day, stayed just one night and we are now in Queenstown.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Glacier baseGlacier base
Glacier base

This is what we walked up to get on the glacier
Lake MathesonLake Matheson
Lake Matheson

So pretty
On the road againOn the road again
On the road again

Look at all the snow


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb