Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
March 24th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We were quite surprised with Queenstown, it had the look of a mediterrean town rather than a New Zealand city. But mainly, it wasn't just a town where everyone comes to get drunk. We feared New Zealand's equivalent of Surfers Paradise, but it was nothing like. It's pedestrianised centre was really nice and had plenty of bars and restaurants to tempt us. Indeed, after cooking most our meals in whilst in New Zealand, we were seduced...it was time to eat out for a change.

The Gondola and Luge
We'd stolen a night's stay from Queenstown to fund a last minute inspired decision to stay in Wanaka (Blog: Wanaka / Mt. Aspiring National Park), so didn't have time to do a lot in Queenstown, as we could then only fit one night's stay into our busy schedule. We decided a trip on the gondola (cable car) some fun on the luge at the top was a must. Oh, and the for the incredible views over Queenstown and the lake. Said views were fantastic, especially as it was another nice sunny day. However, the main attraction was definitely going on the luge. We watched others shooting round the course and a few not zooming at all - we watch one girl decide it wasn't for her, stopping at the first bend and jumping ship. Jason couldn't wait to have a go. He was a little disappointed that the first ride you have to do is on the easier, scenic route, as he wanted to be on the advanced track straight away. We both went down the course, Jason shooting off ahead of me, as he flew round the corners. He was waiting at the bottom for me ready with the camera. It was great fun. We then got the chairlift back up to the start, so that Jason could go on the advanced track. He went even faster down this course, only just managing to make some of the corners and flying into the air as he went over a bump that he was meant to slow down for. Its a good job we didn't have long, otherwise he would have spent the whole day up there!

A great place we could easily have spent another few days. There are so many activities to do here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Sally doing the lugeSally doing the luge
Sally doing the luge

Arriving at the bottom at last.
Jason doing the advanced luge trackJason doing the advanced luge track
Jason doing the advanced luge track

Note for Jackie Binns: Look, I do have more than one T-shirt and it's not blue!!
Jason in the chair liftJason in the chair lift
Jason in the chair lift

Back to the top for another high-speed luge ride down.


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb