More of what you want...pictures!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Queenstown
March 8th 2005
Published: March 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Pics, for the love of god.

I lied last time, but here are the real pictures! Sorry about that. I'm out in the sticks where the phone works 25% of the time and the Internet about 2%. And it's slooooww. I'll update my journal in a bit, but right now a weka (like a cross between a chicken and a kiwi bird) is pecking the trash bags apart! Damn bird!
To be continued...


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

View of Queenstown valleyView of Queenstown valley
View of Queenstown valley

Before the insanity of Adrenalinetown, the open, drier landscape here is refreshing for these Nevada eyes.
QueenstownQueenstown
Queenstown

Rode a gondola up the mountain to get a cracker of a view of Queenstown and the Remarkables. Aren't they purty?
Mountain LupinMountain Lupin
Mountain Lupin

Sunset at the end of a hot Queenstown day.
Lake WanakaLake Wanaka
Lake Wanaka

Nice and sleepy town. I stayed in a hostel called "Purple Cow," but there was no purple in its decor and the only cows those that produced its fatty whole milk-for-sale in the kitchen.
New Zealand or Nevada?New Zealand or Nevada?
New Zealand or Nevada?

Hard to tell! View from the top of a white-knuckled drive with a nutso bus driver who was blasting reggae on the radio. Who blasts reggae??!
Lazy Fur SealLazy Fur Seal
Lazy Fur Seal

Out of Queenstown and south to Dunedin on the East Coast. A wildlife tour lets you get up close and personal with seals, rare penguins and albatrosses. Tres cool. This guy was just laying there, doing nothing...
Dunedin CoastDunedin Coast
Dunedin Coast

Dunedin, old name for Edinborough, was originally settled by Scots. On a nearby beach you watch for yellow-eyed penguins, the oldest and rarest type of penguin in the world. They come to shore at dusk on the far left-hand side of the picture.
Penguin watchingPenguin watching
Penguin watching

I took this pick from a "hideout," a little wooden box set high on the hill of the beach. This way, the yello-eyed penguins don't see the voyeurs butting in on their personal business. No pics of the penguins themselves because they were too far away :-(
Sinful delightSinful delight
Sinful delight

Ggaaa...drool. Quite possibly the best ice cream bar EVER. Unchemicalized boysenberry swirl with dark chocolate coating. God help us.
Reflection in Barry's PoolReflection in Barry's Pool
Reflection in Barry's Pool

Crystal clear glacier waters make this mirror-ish sight possible.
Scary swingbridgeScary swingbridge
Scary swingbridge

Okay, this one wasn't too bad compared to the tiny one-person nausea-inducing nightmare 3k further on the hike.
Glacier picsGlacier pics
Glacier pics

Back to Franz Joseph Glacier. Pictures are mad and out of order, but you forgive me, right?
Waterfall in the rainforestWaterfall in the rainforest
Waterfall in the rainforest

One of my favorite shots, because I had to literally climb rocks up this waterfall for about half an hour!


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb