New Year in Nelson


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Nelson
February 5th 2006
Published: February 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Not a bad view from the gardenNot a bad view from the gardenNot a bad view from the garden

Sally & Mike's house in Nelson
We're having a much-needed lazy Sunday today - recovering from the carnage that was the Wellington Rugby Sevens tournament....also known as the world's biggest fancy dress party! See future blog....

No where we we...? Oh yes, we'd just finished the Queen Charlotte Track and were getting on a bus to Nelson for new year. You'll be glad to know that I'm in no mood to go into detail with this blog so here's a quick summary of our wee Hogmanay holiday in Nelson.

We were invited by a friend of mine from work called Lotty and her fiance Brett who were invited themselves by Lotty's old work mate Sally who now lives in Nelson and we'd never met before. Sally and her hubbie Mike had stayed a day longer at their bach (holiday house) on the west coast so we didn't meet them until the next day.

After getting the ingredients for Brett's chilli, stocking up on booze and buying silly hats to keep the sun off, we spent hogmanay afternoon on the beach which made a fantastic cricket pitch when the tide was out. Brett and I played a game with some locals.

The magnificent chilli
On the beach at NelsonOn the beach at NelsonOn the beach at Nelson

With new silly hat on
was followed by a house party at Sally & Mike's neighbours house where we saw in the new year with a bunch of nutty 'older' people. It was very much a weird hogmany - a party on the deck wearing t-shirts and it was the sixty-somethings that got hammered and made fools of themselves while we stood by and watched.

We headed back to Sally & Mike's house to play some Singstar on the Playstation - its a kind of karaoke game and its is much to my shame to admit that Jo-Ann thrashed me! I can never slag her about her singing again.....

On the 1st we headed out in the car towards the Abel Tasman National Park and had a go on a flying fox where we were strapped into a capsule, pulled up to the top of a hill and then plunged towards the ground and crashed into the water. We went for a coffee in Kaiteriteri and then headed back to Nelson. A few more games of Ricky Ponting Cricket 2006 followed on the playstation - I thought my Singstar was bad until I tried the cricket game.

On the 2nd, we headed back to Picton for the ferry. we didn't manage to get on the same ferry as Lotty & Brett so we had to kill time in Picton for a few hours before getting the 10pm boat which didn't get into Wellington until 1am.

We had a great time and the hospitality shown to us by Sally and Mike was typically kiwi - our home is your home, etc.

Next blog will feature our long weekend up the Kapiti Coast and then the Sevens carnage!!

My Mum & Dad arrive here on the 11th - can't wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Singstar!!Singstar!!
Singstar!!

Lotty takes on Sally's son, Danny
Flying FoxFlying Fox
Flying Fox

This is what we paid to hurtle towards the ground in...nuts


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0962s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb