taking it all in


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Nelson
November 2nd 2007
Published: November 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

i've officially been in nelson for two weeks and a day, but it feels forever longer. this place absolutely feels like home. full of friends and interests, comforts and routines. it is a very easy, full, happy life here. most of us feel very lucky to be able to rest and refill in such a lovely place.

each morning, i wake up naturally around 8am and take a cup of coffee (french press, no less, another new skill) and then sit outside and enjoy the early morning chill. some mornings i read (working on the alchemist), others i study french, my new passion. eventually, friends and new travelers straggle in, making way for morning conversation. the newest part of this routine is making breakfast with claudine, a french-canadian girl from quebec. warm porridge with granola and cooked pears/apples. everything beautifully presented.

then, i clean for two hours with music. with the LOUDEST vacuum cleaner known to God and to all of New Zealand. thank heavens for headphones and blood-pumping music to deafen the sound. i'm then always ferociously starving, somehow only two hours after eating. i cook things nice. nice, simply, vegetarian good things for my body. lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. tofu and rice.

and the rest of day is somehow easily, fluidly passed reading, studying french, lying in the sun, talking, laughing, skateboarding, rockclimbing. it seems to be a life combining both the very physical and the very relaxing. i think because i have so much wonderful time, i have the energy and desire to learn all of these new things. sort of hunger to both just relax and sleep all day and yet to acquire all of these skills i've always wanted. no regrets here. no wishing you could do this or learn that. but actually doing it.

maybe it's that anything is possible? and you choose what makes you happiest. if it's leaving or staying. running or sleeping. being alone or being with 20 people.

on tuesday, i start my new job at a small organic grocer. i hope it'll be the perfect part-time job to complement my life here. i'll move on eventually but right now i'm just reallly content to be here and eager to learn more and take it all in.

time passing is marked by the saturday market each week. i look forward to it as a day to fill myself with the happiness and smells and freshness of everything around me. as well as a chance to buy heaps of fresh vegetables and foods for the next week. tomorrow is saturday. and i'm excited for the good things i will find.

Advertisement



2nd November 2007

Contentment...
I read this blog entry and wished that more people could be as contented as you. How lucky you are to have this time and feel this way. Enjoying each moment, having time to pursue new interests. Away from the rat race of "have to" and "must rush here". Your entry made me slow down and smile!

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb