Gone South


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Nelson
November 21st 2006
Published: November 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

North - South


Marlborough SoundsMarlborough SoundsMarlborough Sounds

Queen Charlotte Sound on Route to the South Island
Well, we are now in the South Island having left the North behind over the three hour ferry ride accross Cook Straight. Even the ferry was good, sailing from Wellington to Picton via Queen Charlotte Sound which is part of the excellent Marlborough Sounds region. The open sea was a bit rough (although apparantly not by their standards), but the sounds were calm, to Claire's relief. Picton seemed like a nice little port town but having only seen it from the boat and spending all of ten minutes there maybe we ain't the best to judge that.

We then hit Nelson (via a wine tasting session at the village winery) where we stayed for four nights. Nelson is a really nice "city" (50 000 people) which due to its location in the south, south island manages to get quite a lot of sunshine, hence the wineries that are everywhere.

In Nelson we met up with a couple (Paul and Rachael) whom we had first met in Fiji. Where we had arranged to meet up and watch the start of the Ashes in New Zealand. So we had a great day in the Nelson Sports Cafe, although its a shame
Abel Tasman NPAbel Tasman NPAbel Tasman NP

The National Park
about the actual Cricket.

We then spent a couple of days with P n R, exploring Nelson's bars and the nearby Abal Tasman National Park. The park consists of beautiful bush and coastal scenery with some of the clearest waters we have seen outside of the South Pacific, the park is massive and you can hike or camp in it for days if you like. We only did a half day walk as we didn't want to overdo it.

Other stuff we did included a visit to an organic brewery in founders park for a tasting and checked out Nelson's Markets, lots of craft, overpriced arty stuff.

Nelson is a nice place.






Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Happy TrekkersHappy Trekkers
Happy Trekkers

Chow time in the park, Claire, Rachael and Paul
The BeachThe Beach
The Beach

Abel Tasmans Clear Waters, you can forget about swimming though its a bit fresh!


28th November 2006

Nelson
I guess this was named after our Lord Nelson? Not Mandela. Anyway, stayed up all night to watch the cricket. Bugger. Sopunds like you are having a good time there, despite being somewhat financially embarassed 9thought you were economising) Still seems lots of drinking and bars to me. See you in february love dad (and mum)

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb