Hiking and biking in Wanaka


Advertisement
Published: January 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well. What a day. If we thought yesterday had been packed that was nothing compared to today. We well and truly earned our steak barbecue - although the day's efforts did mean Daz at least could not even finish a glass of wine!

Started off later than planned with a lie in but straight off to Rocky Mountain and Diamond Lake for the “best ½ day walk in the South Island”. Can't say if this is true or not but it was amazing. Sort of like a super sized, super charged version of the best walks in the Lake District with beautiful views of the the huge expanse of Lake Wanaka all the way up and sight of Mt Aspiring the third highest mountain in NZ. The walk should have taken three hours but we did it in two and a bit, running most of the way down.

Then it was back along the lakeside to find our own private beach for a picnic - you would not find that in the UK - and a quick sun bathe and paddle before the afternoon's activity of cycling along the shore of Lake Wanaka. We thought we would take it easy with a little pootle along to a few lookout points but as soon as the first person overtook Loz her competitive edge kicked in. She shot off with Daz struggling in her jet stream. Ended up with the ride lasting 3 ½ hours taking in most of the coast and a less than gentle climb back into Wanaka and a well deserved beer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb