Milford Track


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
February 19th 2011
Published: February 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Milford Track - Tuesday 15th - Saturday 19th February

Described by Rudyard Kipling as the greatest walk in the world. Obviously he didn't travel the whole world but on balance he wasn't far off the mark.

The track is three days long and thirty three and a half miles long with a 1000 metre bump in the middle (the McKinnon Pass). There are one or two sand flies along the way and lots and lots of waterfalls.

The track was originally conceived to provide a route to the Sutherland Waterfall - 580 metres from top to bottom and at the time the track was formed it was probably the highest waterfall in the known world. It now ranks somewhere between number 5 and 10 but is definitely worth the walk.

Along the way there are no roads, no phones, no mobile phones or internet, just great scenery. The overnight huts are serviced by helicopters and the drinking water comes straight out of the streams.

After the end of the walk we cruised along the Milford Sound and returned to Queenstown.

Enjoy the pictures.




Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



24th February 2011

I'm jealous
These photos are amazing and I am very jealous. Binita and I are missing you. Come back safe.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb