Milford Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
April 17th 2007
Published: April 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Huge waterfall
Milford Sound is a very famous scenic highlight of New Zealand. Actually a fiord, Milford Sound (also known as Piopiotahi in Maori) was carved out when the sea flooded a glacial valley many years ago! It is approximately 16km in length making it not difficult to see the whole area. It is not particularly wide for a fiord (widest part 1km), but is very deep (deepest part 300m) and filled with sea water. The sheer rock faces rise about 1200m either side of Milford Sound and are covered in rich rain forest, making Milford Sound one of the wettest places in New Zealand.

According to legend, Milford Sound was carved out by the Maori demi-god Tuterakiwhanoa on his way to Piopiotahi (Milford)!

Once at the fiord, we pilled on board the Sovereign boat, for a one and a half hour journey to the end of Milford Sound, where the fiord meets the Tasman sea. We both took advantage of the free continental breakfast (11 croissants in total!)

As before, the photos don't really do Milford justice! We went past numerous waterfalls and a peculiar mountain called Mitre peak, as it looked like a Bishop's Mitre!

From Milford we headed to Invercargill and the Catlins, the most southern area of the South Island.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Surrounded by beautySurrounded by beauty
Surrounded by beauty

looking back as we left for the Tasman Sea
Captain cook replica boat on the MilfordCaptain cook replica boat on the Milford
Captain cook replica boat on the Milford

Interesting fact: Milford sound was named after the Milford Haven in Wales - as the first european to arrive here (not cpt cook!) was a welshman from that area.


28th April 2007

Glad your trip is back on track after your accident. Pictures are truly amazing.

Tot: 0.29s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 87; dbt: 0.18s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb