Back on the Road with a tent and thermals


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
April 14th 2007
Published: April 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So I have exchanged the luxury house for a tent, a car and thermals!! Feeling rather smug to have temporarly escaped the working life too, well for the next month anyway. First stop on the mighty tour of New Zealand was the magestic Milford Sound and thankfully it lived up to all the rave reviews ive heard. Its like some kind of mystical, magical land like no where else on earth. Ive never seen so many waterfalls and stunning rainbows. Dramatic snow peaked mountains towered above us on our cruise through the sounds. A baby fur seal lay basking in the sun posing for us. Our boat went under one of the giant falls whilst playing opera and Leila's mum danced and sang beneath the cold water with some other crazy people, It was a very amusing sight!! That night we camped out in a storm by lake Te Aneau and thought we were going to be blown in to the lake, the wind howled all night, it was not the most restful nights sleep Ive ever had, but I guess thats part of the fun with camping!

The following day we walked part of the Kepler track through the moss covered forests which felt like the kind of place one should see fairies! We also tramped some of the Routeburn track. Id like to say I walked the whole thing but that would be a lie! I think 3 hours of each was enough for me in the snow! Im not sure id have been up to the 3 day effort, carrying all your equipment. The views from the Routburn were impressive, looking over the snow covered, forested mountains and lakes in the valleys, not a building to be seen, like most of the South Island.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Milford Sound waterfallsMilford Sound waterfalls
Milford Sound waterfalls

More perfect rainbows on the cruise around the sound
Milford Sound waterfallsMilford Sound waterfalls
Milford Sound waterfalls

More massive waterfalls on the cruise around the sound


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb