Finally on our way.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
April 20th 2012
Published: April 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well, so much has happened since we started that it's difficult to keep it all in perspective.

After dropping of our excess and unwanted items (too much baggage again!) at our friends place we set out south from Christchurch to Akaroa. Having read so much about this place we were still thrilled by the spectacular scenery on the way up the mountains and down the other side into the large volcanic waterway with Akaroa and other little villages perched on it's waterfront.

Akaroa is a pretty little scenic town which had been settled by the French in 1840 and still is supposed to have descendents from that time living there. They were a tad slow in taking "possession" as trhe Brits beat them to it! The town earns it's tourist reputation from it's "French flavour" which means some of the streets are "Rue" and all the cafes & restaurants and B&B's have the French flag out the front and pseudo French names. Sadly, the few shops we visited (in the vain hope of buying something local) were all filled with stuff 'made in China'! Come on NZ, do better that that. Still, it's a verey pretty little village with lovely old houses and the typical waterfront cafes and promenade and gardens and flowers.

However, the main attraction for us was the stunning scenery (see attempt at pics). Our first view of the huge harbour when coming over the mountain was breathtaking. We were told that the cruise ships now come in here since Lyttleton was badly damaged by the recent ChCh earthquakes which now prevent the ships coming in there. Stopped by a cheese factory at Barrys Bay where we sampled and bought some yummy cheese (recommended by Rosemary) plus a HUGE jar of pickled walnuts which we used to be able to get in Denmark (WA) but since not available.

Getting a van site into Akaroa Holiday park was not a problem, we are now into the 'shoulder season' and school hols finish this week. Got a prime site right at the rear of the park backing out onto the most spectacular views of the harbour.This was our first night'on the road' in "Crowded House" and we were determined to do it in style. With the back doors open and a bottle of nice crisp NZ white, our new cheese and walnuts we enjoyed the sunset untill dark. Later we cooked some tender Canterbury lamb chops and fresh veg. Camping doesn't have to be rough!

The weather has been very kind to us so far.....touch wood... Had a day of cold o'cast in ChCh but so far since leaving it has been great. Sunny but cool and today a thick fog. Today, not a cloud in sight with mountains clear.

Like most places here (esp the holiday parks,) the internet is VERY expensive. SO! if we go off the air (out of cyberspace) for a day or so you will know why)

Thur. 19th.

Reluctantly departed Akaroa as we would have loved to have spent more time here but we need to keep going initially in order to establish a feel for our progress later on when time is running out.

We loved the drive out as it was all down the steep winding mountain road that we had come up earlier. Mary was hanging on a bit sometimes and calling out the advisory speed signs as we descended. Don't know what she was worried about! But the scenery was lovely. The Kea Campervan (Crowded House) is really nice to drive,
Akaroa 1Akaroa 1Akaroa 1

Looking down approaching
2.5 diesel, 6 speed manual and has plenty of grunt and takes the steep mountain bends with ease. On the "flats" it is a delight and cruises along nicely at the regulation 100k (max in NZ).

Fuel here is pretty dear but diesel average 1.56/ltr $NZ, so thats not bad compared to home. We get the same fuel dockets from the supermarts also which helps a bit.

Drove on down to the pretty little town of Geraldine. Still on the Canterbury Plains with numerous sheep farms and green paddocks. Great straight roads here and we stopped at the small town of Rakaia which is the Salmon centre and is situated near a huge river and long bridge. The water in the river was only a "trickle" being several fast running channels over rocky pebbles but it wouldn't take too much imagination to see what a torrent it would be when the snow from the mountains to the west melts.

Spent last night in the Geraldine Holiday Park. A lovely town, we spent some time walking around the streets, having a coffee at the "Verde'. A much celebrated cafe we had read about. Stocked up a few items
Boat shedsBoat shedsBoat sheds

Barrys Bay near Akaroa
at the local supermart. Some nice little shops here, even some with local handicrafts and clothing that Mary lashed out on.

Getting quite cold at night now, heater. on in "Crowded House" and an extra blanket on. Awoke this morning to a very thick fog in Geraldine. Took some time to 'get going' as getting out of a warm bed is challenging. It's bit 'crowded' getting up in the morning asa we need to make up the bunk to set the table and so on. Of course, we use the camp ground facilities to the max where ever we can as we are paying for it.

After Geraldine the plan was to head off to the mountains and Lake Tekapo but we got a text from our bank in Perth that some urgent document needed to be signed asap. Turned out that the closest big branch of the ANZ bank was in the next major town of Timaru about 50k further down the road where we hadn't planned on going.

However, all turned out better than we thought as it was a nice drive and a big town we weren't expecting. Our docs were ready at the
1st beer of the day1st beer of the day1st beer of the day

set up at park
bank, having been faxed over, and right next door was a big Telecom shop (our Telstra) where I finally gave in a purchased a mobile broadsband stick to use on our laptop instead of expensive internet and WiFi at parks. Worked out well and we got a good deal with a special 'promotion' and a $50 "free" bonus! So, here we are now using virtually unlimited internet until we leave.

After a lunch and coffee at Timaru we set off out thru "Mackenzie Country" which our booking agent said is one of the most beautiful drives in the world! A big claim, but he wasn't far off the mark. Stunning mountains and great smooth winding road with very pretty trees of all colours in autumn hues. Mary has the shutter working overtime at all the lovely red, golden and yellow poplars just losing their leaves against deep green fields with sheep and dairy cows everywhere. Verey pleasant and enjoyable.

Of course we stop all along the way for the odd 'cuppa' and boil the "billy" in the van at some nice scenic spot. Even have our own loo which has proved to be a blessing sometimes!

20th
AkaroaAkaroaAkaroa

view from van
Apr. Friday.

Arrived at Lake Tekapo aftere a scenic drive thru lovely mountains and wide ancient volcanic valleys and vast areas of wild "high country". Lake Tekapo is a stunning inland lake lying in the valley of majestic peaks and is a favourite recreation spot for Kiwis and visitors alike. Lots of water sking, swimming, fishing etc. Reputed to have the clearest air in the southern hemisphere due to altitude. Site of the much photographed Church of the Good Shepherd guarded by a statue of a Collie Dog which belonged to James Mackenzie, a legendary Scottish sheep thief who lived in the area.

We have decided to stay here for 2 nights and catch up with "vegging out" , washing and relaxing to catch up on this blog and generally take a breather! We have been having one night stands and it gets a bit hectic getting out of the park by 10am seeing we sleep in til 7.30-8.30 and then have to get going. Really, all we have to do is unplug the power and go but there are things like b'fast, ablutions and stowing away loose articles.

Saturday 21st Apr.

First morning a real sleep in! Very cold but clear as we peeped out from under the doona and drew back the van curtains, windows all fogged up and the lake looking COLD! Back under the covers til 9.30. There is a funny, strange unisex ablution block here and we both feel a bit 'uneasy' each time we go in to see both sexes coming out of cubicles and washing by the basins! It's now midday and clear and sunny but cool out of the sun. Lots of water skis and jet skis on the lake now being Saturday, last day of the NZ school hols so suppose everyone is making the most of this unusually brilliant fine autumn weather. we are not complaining. This afternoon we are going to take a drive up to the top of the Mt John Observatory on top of a mountain near the lake and have a look.

Just by way of describing the scenery so far in NZ, we think we have seen bits fromk all over other places we have travelled. We are constantly say, "this reminds me of Tassie, England, Scotland, Isle of Skye, Wales, Cradle Mt, country towns in Australia and mountains of
househousehouse

Akaroa
Austria and farms in Germany , all crammed into this lovely little Island. Another pleasant thing is that the "natives are friendly". Every where we have gone we have encountered nothing but friendly, helpful Kiwis who are anxious to hear that we are having a great holiday. It's just a pity they won't let us win a game of Rugby occasionally!

To be continued................

A&M


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

AkaroaAkaroa
Akaroa

harbour from van
cafecafe
cafe

Akaroa
AkaroaAkaroa
Akaroa

waterfront


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 92; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb