Pancake Rocks and partying at the Pooh pub


Advertisement
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We set off from Westport to do one of the most scenice drives in the world, down the west coast. First stop was Cape Foulwind, where we had a little wander along the coastal walk, found some horses and some seals (not together!) and then hopped back on the bus. Our lunch stop was at Punakaiki to look at the pancake rocks and blowholes - so called because they look like giant stacks of pancakes - and nobody knows quite how they were formed. We spent ages wandering around here, marvelling at the rocks and oohing and aahing at the waves crashing against the rocks and the water rushing up through the blowholes - we took absolutely millions of photos!

Our next stop was Greymouth to get some supplies for our party at the 'Pooh pub' later - so called because it is at Lake Mahinapua, and it is run by a very eccentric old man called Les. Our theme for the night was 'Talent Show' - and our costumes had to be 90% rubbish (i.e. binbags that we bought from the supermarket - nice and cheap!) We arrived rather late so didn't get a chance to see the lake, which I was rather disappointed about, but we were treated to a yummy steak dinner and then had to go and make our costumes for the festivities later.

I had decided I would go as a jester, and with a little help from Wayne fashioning my multi-panelled dress (yes, we have talent!) I then made a hat, a banjo/lute thingy and some juggling balls too! Wayne managed to grab a cardboard box from the shops, and decided to go as a TV talent show - literally - he looked awesome but was rather hard to talk to that evening! Everyone from our bus made such an effort and our bus driver came dressed as a microphone - his costume was so tight he spent the evening shuffling around! The outright winner was Elvis who looked amazing, but there were so many wicked costumes - all in all an excellent night, and a rather hungover morning on the bus the next day...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

'The girls' in our room'The girls' in our room
'The girls' in our room

Just a note - the one on the left is actually wearing my bra...!
Everyone on our bus made an effort!Everyone on our bus made an effort!
Everyone on our bus made an effort!

Incase you're wondering there was a limited suppluy of colours of binbags, which is why most people are dressed in the same colours!


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb