And so it begins again...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Invercargill
March 4th 2008
Published: March 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

....And we're back!

After quite the absence from traveling and blogging, Tanner and I are once again taking to the road and spending the next 4 months slowly making our way back home. Our trip started on Feb. 24 when we left Wellington and headed to New Zealand's South Island.

Here are some places we went/highlights along the way:
- Hiking at Abel Tasman National Park: We walked more than 15 km (which is 9ish miles -- whoa) along beautiful beaches and up (very steep!) forest mountains.
- Glacier Hiking: That's right, we hiked on a glacier. When I told my dad we were doing this, he said, "That's nice -- so now you'll be able to tell your grandkids what a glacier looks like." It was awesome.
- Tanner went bungy jumping: And not just at any old bungy site, but the highest one in the world in the city where it all started (Queenstown). I went with him, but opted out of jumping 134 meters seemingly to my death.
- We sheared a sheep: It was greasy. Really. But very cool nevertheless, and we got to see a real New Zealand sheep farm and 6 day old puppies.
- Cruising in Milford Sound through the Fiordland: It was some of the most striking scenery I've ever seen. It looked like Middle Earth/Mordor.
- Random fun things: Tanner eating a possum pie (tasted like chicken!), wine-tasting in Marlborough, lugeing behind a slow 6 year old, watching every single Adam Sandler and Vince Vaughn movie on our bus in between stops (how about some variety??), hiking to the geographic center of New Zealand which was of course on top of a big mountain, and seeing the mirror lakes.

And it has only been 10 days! Now we're heading to Dunedin, the home of yellow-eyed penguins (Tanner is thrilled), the Speights Brewery, and Cadbury World. We're looking forward to all three. Then to Christchurch, and thus will conclude our time in New Zealand. Off to the land of Oz and cities that have more than 200 people!

Advertisement



6th March 2008

I'm bored without photos
I dont want to work, I just want to Read the Tanner Rachel blog all day!!!!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb