Baz Vegas!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Hokitika
February 16th 2007
Published: February 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we travelled down the West Coast of the South Island. It was a long time in the bus but there were lots of stops - we saw a seal colony, various moutain look-outs and also the pancake rocks. The drive itself is fine as the scenary is amazing. We were going through Buller gorge which is rated as one of the top 10 drives in the world (according to Lonely Planet) and I can see why. We also stopped at a micro brewery for a quick beer!
Barry Town (or Baz Vegas) is an interesting place. It is right next to Punakaiki and the pancake rocks and only has a population of 40 so we doubled the population on arrival! We had another great day of weather, making the views awesome and watched a lovely sunset over the Tasman Sea. The beach is just at the end of the road. Only down side is that we have reached the first of the biting insects! I think sandflies and midgies.

Advertisement



18th February 2007

Prepare to be bitten!
Just wanted to warn you that it is futile trying to prevent yourself getting bitten. Those sandflies seem to like repellent! I am enjoying the blog.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb