Day 31 - Hanmer Springs, South Island, New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Hanmer Springs
December 19th 2013
Published: December 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 19th December, 2013. Hanmer Springs, South Island, New Zealand

Today was rubbish weather again. Luckily it was a travelling day so it didn't matter too much. Our destination was Hanmer Springs which had been recommended to us by a lady on the flight from Sydney to Christchurch a few weeks ago.

After a bit of driving it seemed that today was going to be a complete washout. We came across a place on the map marked in red (meaning it is of interest) called the Hurunui Historic Hotel. It is famous in New Zealand for its liquor licence, having held it continuously since 1st July 1860. The original owner, John Hastie, was granted a conditional licence for the ‘Hurunui Accommodation House’. Conditions included; "that he keep eight beds in four bedrooms; shelter for six horses; provide stock yards for yoking up cattle; provide horses for travellers to ford the river; and also
direct strangers to a safe fording place."In 1982 a small group of local farmers banded together to save the hotel after it had fallen into disrepair. The community rallied and with help from other sources, including The Historic Places Trust, the Hotel was restored. It is now a thriving hotel and a popular stop for tourists, who can enjoy sampling our finest brews in a New Zealand landmark. (We didn't try any but we are really desperate for things to mention today!)

Next was the excitement of Red Post Corner (also marked in red on the map) Basically a junction where the rail line from Hanmer/ Culverden/ Waiau met. The red post was were the mail used to be left for the other areas. There was a load of blurb on how important this was but will not bother mentioning it here.

As we had loads of time we decided to drive on to Lewis Pass which is one of the crossings to the West Coast. We got to Springs Junction, had a sandwich and then turned around and came back. On the way back we went trespassing on a private bridge which had good views of the river so we took some pics.

We retraced our steps down the highway and turned off across the Waiau River Bridge heading towards Hanmer Springs. There was a great lookout point just after the bridge where we could see the jet boats. You can also
16. M, Lewis Pass Drive16. M, Lewis Pass Drive16. M, Lewis Pass Drive

On the Private Bridge
bungy jump from the bridge.

We found the YH and checked in for the night. Then we got our swimming stuff and some towels and headed for Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools - the only reason for coming here!! Luckily the weather had improved slightly. These pools have been attracting visitors for more than 125 years. Set in the heart of the villaage there are 15 open air thermal pools of varyiing temperatures.

First we tried one of the Hexagonal Pools (there are 3). The temperature of these pools range from 38-40 C. The geothermal water is drawn from a bore ajacent to the pools, providing high quality natural water. Despite it only being 12 degrees air temperature the water was fantastic - like getting in a really hot bath. Lovely. We rushed over (bit nippy when out of the water) to the Lazy River where we grabbed a couple of polystyrene boards and floated around at a freezing 28 degrees. We tried the Rainbow and Rock Pools (33- 37 degrees!). Then we went to the Sulphur Pools (really smelly!). These are completely natural and contain unfiltered thermal water. The water in these pools has a wonderful soft and silky feel to it and the temperatures range from 40 - 42 C. We got chatting to a couple from the UK who had come last week and found it too hot to stay in for more than a couple of minutes. We finished with the Aqua Therapy pools. These had temperatures ranging from 27 - 30 degrees C. You could choose between being jet blasted (wonderful) in the middle or drowned by fountains (D tried this but M resisted!). Whatever it is all supposed to be good for you. We showered on the way out and spin dried our swimwear in some wonderful contraptions.

We returned to the YH, had dinner and went to bed feeling very clean and relaxed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

14. Lewis Pass Drive14. Lewis Pass Drive
14. Lewis Pass Drive

Trespassing on the Private Bridge


Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb