"I just swallowed a bug!"


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Hanmer Springs
December 15th 2008
Published: December 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Three days into it and we're having the time of our lives. We got the campervan on Saturday (don't forget we're a day ahead of you, so technicallly I'm writing this from the future), so the real New Zealand adventure has begun. I will never forget hitting the road for the first time, on the opposite side of the road, sitting in the driver seat on the right side of the vehicle. I admit, the first couple turn offs were a bit hairy, but after a few kilometers (thats right we use km's down here) I got used to it. I still get momentary flashes of "am I doing this right?" But I assure you, its all gravy.

We headed out of the garden city of Christchurch to our first destination, Hanmer Springs. Just driving in this beautiful country is an absolute blessing for me. Its an endless stream of spectacular scenery; particularly wonderful because my eyes have never seen any of it. That to me is the greatest thing about traveling, seeing something for the first time, having that honest and raw appreciation for whatever you are looking at. If you're not too sure what the New Zealand countryside looks like, go rent Lord of the Rings, most of the outdoor scenes were filmed here on the south island. The saying "its not the destination that counts, its the journey..." must have been coined by someone driving a campervan throught the New Zealand countryside. Every twist and turn of the two lane "motorway" gives way to breathtaking landscapes- lush forests and rocky outcrops, sheer cliff edges and green rivers.

After driving around the mountain village of Hanmer Springs, we asked a local about hiking trails and they suggested the "waterfall track." Two hours of serious uphill hiking later, we reached a gorgeous 41 meter waterfall and ate sliced pork sandwiches at the base (They don't have turkey here 😞 ). After the hike we went to main attraction of Hanmer Springs- geothermal heated pools. Perfect for resting our sore quads and hams. A short drive down the road and we saw a sign for a "holiday park," or a campground-like area where you can park vans and share kitchens and bathrooms. We pulled up to the reception office, the downstairs room of a family's house, and got our spot for the night for about $8 each. This place was great. The owners made us feel at home with their accomidations. A shared kitchen and dining area (no one else was there so we didn't share), a bathroom with shower, and a friggin trampoline in the yard! The lady even gave me a scoop of her laundry detergent. I love Kiwi's (New Zealanders).

We've ran into a bit of bad luck the last couple days with the weather. Its been rainy, which is fluky for this time of year. Right now we are in Nelson on the north end of the island near the Abel Tasman National Park. We splurged and got a little motel room for tonight to keep out of the rain. Its supposed to clear up tomorrow. A bit of sunshine will do the pictures of this place the justice it deserves. If its still rainy, we'll chalk it up as a loss and continue moving south down the west coast.

Keep those fingers crossed for good weather. Either way, I'm loving it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



15th December 2008

How did it taste? It sounds like you are having a trip of a lifetime. We are so happy for you, and maybe a little envious.
15th December 2008

Geez, you scared me for a sec!!!
Jake and Meg - it looks all so beautiful. Is that wood bebeath your bed in the van??? I'm in Nevada and it is snowing a soft, lovely, peacefull snow. So white and quiet. Love you guys!!!!!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb