Hot Springs and Mountains


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Hanmer Springs
August 8th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The FerryThe FerryThe Ferry

Waiting to drive onto the Ferry.
This morning we woke early so we could catch the 8:45 ferry across to the South Island. It is sad to leave the North Island since we had so much fun while we were here and would love to stay another week or two. We can always come back!
The ferry landed in Picton on the South Island around 12:00pm. The scenery welcoming us in the South Island was amazing. The water was a beautiful blue, while the shore was covered in pine trees on top of steep mountains. We drove down the east coast of the South Island and it was stunning. The water, the rocks, being almost the only car on the road was so nice. About 3 and ½ hours into the drive we turned off towards Hanmer Springs, our next destination. Hanmer Springs is a small town in the mountains. Driving on the smaller road, it took us 20 minutes to pass someone on the road and another 20 minutes to see anybody else. The road went through the country and wound around the mountains. Very pretty (and a lot of fun to drive on).
We stayed at Albergo Springs, a Bed and Breakfast down the road
SunriseSunriseSunrise

While waiting to get on the Ferry.
from the Hot Springs. It was a great B&B and would definitely stay there again. Our host were wonderful, even though they were just taking over for a couple months while the owners were on vacation. We had our own private back patio complete with a stunning view of the Snow topped Mountains. The weather in the Valley was actually quite warm.
We had free passes to the Hot Springs so off we went. The springs were so relaxing and overlooked the mountains. We stayed for quite a while and rented our own private hot pool. Going from pool to pool was a bit cold, but made the springs even warmer. Once again, Speedos everywhere. I even spotted a speedo loving family. Everybody in the family was wearing them. (most American children would call that punishment) I must say that I probably wasn’t a pretty site either. I have bruises all over my legs from bumping into EVERYTHING and a botched waxing experience. (I attempted to wax my legs, and now know to leave it to the professionals). Ouch. Typical Emily moment.
Anyways the springs are something that everybody should do if they go to Hanmer Springs or Christchurch.
On the FerryOn the FerryOn the Ferry

It was a bit chilly, but very pretty leaving the harbour.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

On the FerryOn the Ferry
On the Ferry

Getting closer to the end of the ride
Hanmer SpringsHanmer Springs
Hanmer Springs

The view from our room at Albergo springs.
Hanmer SpringsHanmer Springs
Hanmer Springs

Sunset at the Springs
Hanmer SpringsHanmer Springs
Hanmer Springs

More mountains
Hanmer SpringsHanmer Springs
Hanmer Springs

Palm trees and Snow capped mountains.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb