Day 30


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Greymouth
January 7th 2017
Published: January 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Before leaving Invercargill, in the rain, we visited eHayes hardware. They have a great collection of vintage motorcycles and vehicles including some of Burt Munro's, they even had a replica of one of the motorcycles used in the movie The Fastest Indian.
Drove through the Catlins from Dunedin to Invercargill, not as interesting as we thought it would be.
Decided to stay in Manapouri rather than Te Anau, mostly because Te Anau was full. Found a nice place to pitch the tent, had to dry it out first. Booked a Milford sound fiord tour for Wednesday that included transportation from Te Anau.
Woke up to sunshine, drove to Te Anau and boarded the bus to Milford Sound. Lovely drive 120km took 2 and a half hours! We had a number of stops on the tour, including Mirror Lakes. We saw a flightless Weka bird, and a Kea mountain parrot. They are quite friendly, and like rubber, like windshield wipers.
The cruise was really good. At the end of the fiord when you get to open ocean you can see the change in the water.
Spent 2 nights in Wanaka, just north of Queenstown. We had planned on staying in
HoneyHoneyHoney

Honey
Queenstown but couldn't even get close. Was chockers! Wanaka was just like the Okanagan, busy, dry and a lake. Stayed in town so we could walk everywhere since parking was a nightmare.
Saturday morning we got up early and hit the road. Drove to the west coast through Haast Pass and up the coast to Greymouth. Was cool, cloudy and windy all the way. We stopped at Fox Glacier for lunch and realized we had left our stuff in the fridge at Wanaka! A bottle of Clifford Bay!! Of well not driving back for it.
No interest in stopping at Franz Josef Glacier, I've seen a glacier. Just after Franz Josef I saw a sign for honey and stopped, a little shack with no one in it, shelves with honey a cash box (locked) and some change. Grabbed a jar of honey made change and left. Such a weird concept.

We have seen so many golf courses, but very few people on them.

I'm getting the hang of driving until I get in a parking lot.

There are so many one way bridges, even on major highways. Most work okay but occasionally you get people who don't
HydrengeaHydrengeaHydrengea

Hydrengea
stop.

The roads here are nuts, switchback and wild turns, no shoulders, dead possums all over the road.

Every Holiday Park (campground) has a bouncy pillow. Looks like a air filled rubber pillow sticking out of the ground. The air is taken out in the evening and put back in the mornings. The kids sit on it while it filling in the morning and bounce on it for hours, doing flips and cartwheels.

Can get any pictures to load will do them later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

FiordlandFiordland
Fiordland

Fiordland
Southern alpsSouthern alps
Southern alps

Southern alps
Mirror lakesMirror lakes
Mirror lakes

Mirror lakes
WekaWeka
Weka

Weka
Ocean/FiordOcean/Fiord
Ocean/Fiord

Ocean/Fiord
Fiordland cruiseFiordland cruise
Fiordland cruise

Fiordland cruise
Yello! CabYello! Cab
Yello! Cab

Yello! Cab
Video storeVideo store
Video store

Video stpre


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb