gold in them there hills


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Greymouth
February 25th 2008
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

panning in the riverpanning in the riverpanning in the river

with a little help and local knowledge.
well, we're well inland from Greymouth, at a lovely little town called Reefton, famous for being the first town in NZ to have electric lights. Its in a spectacular setting, surrounded by mountains and rivers, and last night I took a chair outside and watched the sun go down over the hills. Tonight its a bit cloudier, so maybe not. Anyway, all the hills round here are riddled with gold and coal mines, well, the remains of them. And everywhere you go, there are photos showing what it looked like in 1860 or 1910 - mostly a lot busier than now. In fact, its hard to believe that there could once have been a thriving town on that little ledge of rock etc. However, all the paths and tramways are preserved, and make excellent footpaths, and there's always a bit of leftover machinery to look at on the way. So its good. Tomorrow we hope to go goldpanning in the special goldpanning river nearby - you never know you're luck, we might strike it rich!!! Pictures to follow, when we find a machine that can do them!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

meeting the local goldminersmeeting the local goldminers
meeting the local goldminers

in the mock up mine at the visitor centre.
trying my handtrying my hand
trying my hand

but I'm not rich yet. The river is dark after heavy overnight rain.
Julie AndrewsJulie Andrews
Julie Andrews

exploring the old goldfields.
above the riverabove the river
above the river

the walk was up an old gold miner's track, by the river.
the rockthe rock
the rock

couldn't resist putting the camera on timer for this.
leyland truckleyland truck
leyland truck

they used as winch on the old coal track.
coal mine walkcoal mine walk
coal mine walk

boardwalk through the bog! Growth is not so luxuriant on the coal seams.


13th March 2008

gold diggers
Goodluck with the panning, I hope you find a huge nugget.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.8kb