Day 11 - Kinloch to Queenstown and Glenorchy Lagoon Walk


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Glenorchy
November 29th 2013
Published: November 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday 29th November, 2013. Glenorchy Lagoon Walk, Otago, South Island, New Zealand.

We woke up at Kinloch Lodge and had breakfast. D had been for a walk while M slept and a local had advised that the weather was going to turn and it was going to rain later. We had intended to go hiking up the Routeburn track which is one of the top 10 walks in the world. However, it was 4 hours return to the first hut and we were worried about the weather turning as we had no survival gear or beacons or anything. We decided it would be prudent to abort.

We travelled back down the 9 km of dirt track and went around the head of the river. Here we saw some perfect examples of glacial drumlins which were being grazed by sheep. Being geographers we couldn't resist a few shots. By now a mist had settled over most of the Dart River Valley and it was quite cold. We couldn't even see the Routeburn track as it was already shrouded in mist. We continued on to Glenorchy where we decided that, as the rain was still holding off, we would walk the Glenorchy Walkway.

This fantastic walkway was completed in 2012. It commemorates 150 years of European settlement at the Head of the Lake. It has north and south sections, some of which are raised walkways above the lagoon. There were excellent places to stop and observe the bird life. We decided to walk both sections. About 30 minutes from the end of our tramp it started to rain. We got a bit wet but made it back before the heavens really opened.

We drove on to Queenstown and found the Youth Hostel. We were too early to check in so we walked along the lake to the town centre. Here we purchased some umbrellas and some wooly hats. We stopped for a beer at the Atlas bar on the wharf (very pricey). We walked back to the youth hostel (very glad of the umbrellas) and checked in.

The room is absolutely tiny and on the 3rd floor. We have a glimpse of a lake view. We are here for two nights. After unloading the car we had a rest. We had promised ourselves a meal out tonight (our first) so we went for fish and chips to PJ's. It was excellent value for money at $13 each (including a beer) and was really good. The fish was called Hoki and was very similar to cod. They even had HP Sauce for M! We walked back in the rain and retired hoping the weather would improve tomorrow so we could explore Queenstown properly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb