Franz Josef


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
September 7th 2012
Published: September 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We were up very early to leave Nelson for our 9 hour 45 minute bus journey to Franz Josef. On the way stopped in various places including Punakaiki and Hokitika.



Punakaiki houses the famous pancake rocks and blowholes created by the rough Tasman seas. The force of the water hitting the coast was incredible but unfortunately the weather conditions didn't allow us to see the blowholes in action.



We arrived in Franz Josef to a warm fire blazing in our backpackers, The Glowworm Backpackers. We spent the evening tucked in The Monsoon Bar sheltering from the constant rain. The following morning we we're booked in to do the Glacier Valley Walk. We arrived fully kitted out at the office (I'm sure Dan will upload a photo of us in our finery as soon as we get to a PC) keen to head up to the glacier. Luckily for us the weather was so awful and conditions so bad that we were the only two people booked on the walk - all other helicopter trips and ice explorer tours were cancelled. So our very knowledgeable guide, Ryan, had the pleasure of escorting us around the glacier.



After an hour and a half of walking we finally made it up to the top of the mound of rocks we were to view the glacier from. The sheer size was astonishing and the ice was bright blue in colour. On climbing back down the mound we stopped to view the entrance to an ice cave, it was then we could see just how thick the ice was. By this time it was absolutely bucketing it down with rain so we marched back to the car to get dropped back into town.



On the recommendation of Ryan we visited the local bakery as Saturday is their donut day. Neither Dan or I were prepared for how amazing these donuts were going to be, so good in fact we walked 10 metres down the road before going back for seconds. They were the size of baseballs!!!! I tried custard & apricot and custard & plum while Dan sampled chocolate and custard. To fight off the food guilts we then embarked on another long walk to the Tatare Tunnels which were built by miners into the side of a hill. Inside the cold and dark tunnels was a stream of water (at times coming up shin high) and we were advised not to turn our headtorches on. As I don't like the dark, confined spaces or worms I chose to wait outside, which was equally as terrifying for me as it started thundering! Dan however, braveved the elements, and ventured all the way into the cave (250metres long) to see the roof of the cave lit glowworms....on his own!!



We spent the evening relaxing in the glacier hot pools - which were very hot (40 degrees). A lovely burger dinner rounded off the day and Dan enjoyed a spectacular looking banoffee pie!



Kayleigh xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



19th September 2012

Jealous
Sounds awesome! Pretty cool that you basically had a private tour as well. :) Ironically; Pancake rocks...look nothing like pancakes.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb