Lake Mahinapua- Franz Josef


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
March 21st 2010
Published: March 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

DSCF2169DSCF2169DSCF2169

The local Lake
Left Westport and headed South down the WEst coast. GREAT views!! Got best view on bus by sitting next to driver to have a chat and chose all songs on i pod for whole bus to hear.. brilliant. We were heading to Lake Mahinapua- to have the famous party!! we stopped off at a salvation army to collect costumes.. it is always a fancy dress night in the hostel.. the bus decided on 'Sex and the City' and hillbillies. We arrived at the hostel which is in the middle of nowhere and run by a 93 year old- Lez. Only the Kiwi bus passengers are allowed to stay there and drink in the bar. The bar was full of photos from the last 10 ish years- everyday a fancy dress part 364 days a year!!! I attemped to find Mark!! but no luck considering not dated. Lez- yes Lez himself cooked up steak and then we could help ourselves to salads, and venison stew!- AMAZING! so so so yummy, you could also have more, and for only $10 and 4.50! Charlotte and I decided to be siamese twins! Funniest night!!Th girl that won the competition and a nevis bungee dressed as a dog and sat in a handbag!! After a messy ngiht we headed to Franz Josef!! really beautiful!!! the hostel was really good fun and help competitions to win activities in Queenstown. The first night it was a 'rock paper sissors' game!! I had an early ngiht ready for my ice climb on the franz josef- the glacier! really good fun, and hard work!!!! realised how weak my left arm is! we had to hack into the ice! at one point i was hanging up high and just couldnt get my arm in! i was laughing and telling instructors i was making them an ice sculpture! hee hee that evening we got taken out by a local, who showed us the karaoke bar to our delight!! left Franz Josef which was sad as was a really good place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DSCF2185DSCF2185
DSCF2185

Matt- Bus driver
DSCF2186DSCF2186
DSCF2186

Group photo
DSCF2187DSCF2187
DSCF2187

Dog in a Bag!!
DSCF2194DSCF2194
DSCF2194

Matt- Our bus driver!! HA
DSCF2196DSCF2196
DSCF2196

Rock paper sissors- the moment i lost :(
DSCF2197DSCF2197
DSCF2197

EArly Rise


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb