franz josef glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
July 26th 2009
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

07/17: if you think a half-day glacier walk is going to be a breeze, think twice. my whole body was sore after the climb. the whole group is divided intro teams of three. i was in team two, which meant that my pace was just right. here are some tips:

if you're planning to buy all the gear for this half-day climb, DON'T! the tour operator will lend you all the gear you need. geer rental is inclusive, so you won't have to pay extra. since everything is rented, do not expect brand new gear and equipment. another tip is not to wear too many layers of clothing. i made the mistake of wearing four layers of clothing. i was sweating buckets before i even reached the glacier. eventually, i had my windbreaker in one hand while the other one was struggling to hold onto the rope. if you do not have ample clothing, the tour operator will provide you with whatever is appropriate. tip 3 is to remember to bring water and lunch. when we reached the "summit" (less than 1/8 of the actual glacier), we had 5-10 minutes to have lunch and take photos. i had an apple and a sandwich and i just ate the apple. it was so refreshing.

as usual, my advice is to make the booking in new zealand insteadof doing it online. it is going to be cheaper and you will have more options in terms of getting discounts. discount coupons are available in the brochures/travel guides provided by the airport information desk in christchurch (not sure about queenstown) and by your hotel concierge.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb