Camping and Tramping


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
December 23rd 2008
Published: December 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

ParadiseParadiseParadise

Why would you want to leave anyway?
We have gone truly back to nature in New Zealand but have ventured from the backwoods to update the travelblog.

For the past week, we have been staying in Voyager, the (slightly compact) campervan, on campsites in stunning locations on New Zealand's South Island. Although facilities are basic, we have been able to rustle up some lovely meals, venison sausages and mash being the highlight, and met some great people too. We have made our way up from Fiordland; driving, camping, fishing, reading and generally taking things easy. New Zealand is basically a series of beautiful national parks and we are trying to see a lot of some of them, rather than a little of all of them. We are now in Franz Josef, a town near one of the two walkable Glaciers in the country and we are booked to hike there tomorrow, Christmas Eve.

Walking the Milford Track was a fantastic experience. We had good weather - perfect sun for the first day, then overcast the second day (so not too hot for walking), with rain the final two days. Although this occluded our view from the high McKinnon Pass, the rain causes waterfalls which really brings the landscape to life. I counted 27 waterfalls at one stage. Mitre Peak and the view of Milford Sound was misty and magical - very LOTR! While our fellow walkers legged in back to civilisation and hot showers, we took a cruise of Milford Sound and saw a colony of seals relaxing on the rocks. Very cute. Back in the town of Te Anau, the steaks we had for dinner were delicious after the 'Back Country Cuisine' dehydrated meals we had eaten for the past four nights!

Our campervan is now decked in tinsel and we are looking forward to spending Christmas Day on the beach and fishing in the river. No turkey this year, but T-Bone steaks and salad. We will probably also be nursing our sore muscles after our glacier walk! No doubt a soak in the hot tub with a cold beer in hand will help!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the Christmas Bells; more travel updates to come in 2009!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb