Snowboarding & Glaciers


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
September 11th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mount Hutt
we went for a days snowboarding here, it is really beautiful and there was loads of snow.
Martyn managed a full day on the piste except when he had to help me to the medical centre.
i had a great time until i tumbled and twisted my knee & ankle. it was so sore. i was not allowed to board the rest of the day.

oh well

Franz Josef Glacier
we actually spent a day climbing up the glacier. it is magical.
they kit you out in all the gear including boots and crampons ( metal spikes on the base of your boot) to walk in the ice.
we were in a group of only 5 and our guide was really knowledgeable about the glacier formations.
he carried a pick axe and actually cut out steps in the ice when needed and had ropes in his bag for when we needed to climb out of crevices.
we had such a fun day, imagine sitting on frozen snow and ice eating your packed lunch.
we went into ice caves and crawled through tunnels and up crevices.
my knee was pretty sore throughout the day but i couldn't miss this and am so glad i managed to do it.
this was such a unique experience. WOW.

in the evening we had dinner in the wee bar-cafe in the town. The food was delicious.

Love this place.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb