COLD!!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
June 14th 2007
Published: June 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Me in a crevassMe in a crevassMe in a crevass

The ice was and absolutly amazing bright blue colour (can really see it in the pics)

COLD!!!

 Australasia » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef By jonnyode
June 14th 2007
Jonny ODonnell
After Mahinapua we headed for Franz Josef which was where the scenery just got better. Franz Josepf is a tiny town situated at the base of the glaciers so you have amazing views. The main event here was a Heli-hike. We were really lucky with the weather because if it’s too cloudy they wont fly you up. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky on this particular day and the sun was blazing which gave us perfect conditions. The day started with a helicopter ride to the base of the glacier where we then hiked around for the next couple of hours. We didn’t really cover too much distance because of the time it takes for the guide to cut foot holds ion the ice. Some of the spots you walk through which included ice caves were amazing with the bright blue ice and the scenery was so contrasting with you being stood on a glacier looking down at a rainforest and then beyond that the Tasman sea. We all had an excellent day constantly pushing eachother over on the ice and throwing snowballs at everyone ;o)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The group!The group!
The group!

From left to right. Mike,Dave, Sarah, Mark, Dave


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 20; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb