Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
September 10th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a much needed sleep we were up and out by 10am and driving to Haarst throught incredible scenery. We stopped in Haarst for petrol and pies before continuing on towards Fox Glacier where we headed towards a lookout point. The view was dissapointing as we could only see a small part of the glacier through a clearing in the rainforest. Feeling fit, Mark and Dale replaced their standard attire for waterproofs and boots, and headed off for a short walk through the surrounding rainforest. Ollie, on the other hand, chose to remain in the car and make full use of the DVD player and reclining seats!

After the walk, we drove onwards towards the glacier terminal. Ollie once again remained in the warmth of the Spaceship whilst Mark and Dale ventured on to get a closer look at the glacier. The walkway to the glacier was closed due to a large rock slide that had destroyed the path. However, ignoring the danger warnings, they both climbed through the fence and headed on. In the end, the addition of Mark's flip flops (all-terrain by the way) actually helped in crossing the river and the precariously piled rocks although the water was a little cold. Once they came face-to-face with the glacier, they returned through the river once more only to be met with some funny looks from the appropriately dressed and sensible shoed glacier guides!

Once we were all safely in the car, we drove towards the Fox Glacier Township and checked into a quaint little campsite. Luckily, the camp had recently undergone renovations and much of the evening was spent in the comfort of their rather large TV lounge.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb