Fox's Glacier Mint


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
February 23rd 2008
Published: February 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Fox Glacier from Helicopter 53 secs
Panorama: Fox Glacier Neve

After my defeat at the Battle of Franz Josef, we spurned the Glaciers and decided to head off further south. ('It's only a bit of ice up a mountain anyway').

As it happens, Jo and Tony, a smashing couple of fellow intrepid explorers from the UK whom we'd met many months ago at Blue Lake, Rotorua, were venturing forth in our direction so we arranged a timely meeting.

After a night at The Wilderness Camp in Makarora, exchanging stories over 'school dinners' in the camp canteen, we girded our loins to commence battle again, following Jo and Tony back up to Fox Glacier to give that lump of ice a good seeing to.

Fox didn't even put up a fight when we got there. It's only a 20 minute walk from the car park to the foot of the glacier, with a little big of stream crossing being the only challenge. No need for any rip-off 'Guide' or herding along with 40 odd others.

And as a poke in the eye to all crampon wearers and ice step makers, we decided to use the more sensible mode of transport up the glacier and took a helicopter flight, landing on the neve where the snow is fresh and not yet compacted into ice.

And all the better to have conquered Fox with our fellow troopers Jo and Tony. Lovely jubbly!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

There's Ice in Them There GlaciersThere's Ice in Them There Glaciers
There's Ice in Them There Glaciers

'Get your chops around this 50 year old ice lolly'
JellycopterJellycopter
Jellycopter

'Don't forget to jangle the wangleshaft...'


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb