Keplar Track


Advertisement
Published: November 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We made the decision to reverse the route around the Keplar track as the forecast was for really strong wind over the alpine section of the route. It was a decision that we were glad of when we met two americans on the second day who had to shelter overnight on the ridge when strong winds forced them to abandon the walk to the next hut.

The first day we walked from Te Anau to Control gates and on to Motaro rut via Rainbow reach. The forests were really nice but after 5 hours walking in them with heavy packs we were glad to see the hut! Unfortunately we knew that the next day was also in the valley through forest but at least our packs were a little bit lighter (even if not light enough).

The third day saw the begginning of the alpine section with a steep walk from Iris Burn hut out of the valley and onto the ridge. For this entire day we could see to Lake Manapouri on one side and Lake Te Anau on the other. The snow capped mountain in the distance and forest below us made it really spectacular.

We briefly stopped for lunch at the Forest Burn shelter. After our traditional hiking meal of samwiches we decided to explore the small one room shelter - we were just about inside the door when Jules heard a rustling outside and turned to see a Kea (who had obviously been watching and waiting) fly away with our snack bag. The boys took off chasing it at speed and did manage to recover the bag - the Kea wasn't impressed!

At the end of the day we took the short hike up Mount Luxmore where Andy produced a 200g bar of Dairy Milk that would rarely be appreciated in the same way. When you have to carry all your food it's amazing how many luxury items you miss!

We went to bed pretty tired that night so noone was too impressed when I woke them at 5.30 to see the sunrise - but it was worth it. There was a layer of low cloud over Te Anau but at Luxmore hut we were perched above the cloud and the sun rose over the mountains in the distance to shine on the blankett of cloud - it was an amazing sight and a fantastic way to start the last day and the walk down from the mountains back into some beautiful beech forest to finish.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb