Queenstown to te anau


Advertisement
Published: August 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Gem here,
Yes okay it's beena few days since our last blog, but have been fitting so much into days and finding internet outlets that allow you to put on photos is a bit tricky.

Queenstown was fab, went up the Gondola, hint don't do this if you are petrified of heights, or at least take some valium before hand, or like me close your eyes all the way up there and ask other passenger when you get to the top. Amazing views from the top, when I eventually opened my eyes long enough. Went on the luge, buggy thing down a track right at the top of big hill overlooking queenstown. Well recommended, this is so much fun. Had to get another chairlift up to the start, put on the dodgy looking helmets and then grab your kart. They make you do the scenic one first, which I thiought was fast enough but after the second go a little predictable. The advanced track is funny, loads of peaks and troughs and you nearlly come off the side if you go to fast, hence reason for helmet. Only had 3 goes but think both myself and Dave could have kept going, and yes Dave beat me, drat!!(ps did Suze and Dinyar go on this?)

That evening we went out to the ice bar - minus 5 degrees, we had to get there early to be kitted out to go in there. Basically a big freezer, it was -9.5 when we went in. The cocktails are delicious, and the glasses were made of ice, two handed job to hold them as can be slippy. Loads of ice scupltures around. A good experience, very cool (geddit?) place to go. Went to a bar next door called the boiler room after, which looks through into the ice bar. Then to restaurant to get some grub, Fitz, great food, good prices, yummy yummy. Altogether good night out.

Next day the journey from Queens to Te anau. Windy! will let Dave take over and explain the light incident.

Will do! But before i do will just have to emphasise how good the luge was- to quote 'the best fun you can have with your pants on' (and that includes changing them after) would do it justice - plenty of places to overtake and a lot faster then youd ever think- i over took one girl in the air - fab!(Andy you would appreciate this!)

Well back to the incident on the way to Te Anau - The weather took a turn for the worst as although it was Sunny the wind was crazy blowing the van all over the place, anyway next thing i noticed is that the front right headlight had parked itself nicely above my driver side window - hanging on by the headlight wires! By the looks of things it was only previously kept in place by a wheel trim taper. As it wouldnt go back on we improvised with a washing line and a bit of sticky backed plastic- seemed to do the trick until we got to the nearest garage!

We arrived in Te anua to heavy rain and wind, a contrast from Queenstown, only to hear that there had been lots of controlled avalanches on the Milford Sound road and we might not get
there after all, so we booked and hoped for the best?????????

Advertisement



18th August 2005

Blue Peter in New Zealand
Well guys, by the sounds of it those afternoons in front of the TV back in the day when you were young wipper snappers really did the trick. Blue Peter would be proud - you've proved sticky backed plastic can be used in all circumstances! The Ice bar looks fantastic. Looks from the picture like you had a few cocktails, or is it just a natural high from the travels? Speak soon!

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb