Undoubtfully Beautiful


Advertisement
Published: February 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

My trip then continued on to the Sounds and I opted to go to the harder to reach Doubtful Sound and it was totally worthwhile. Kanaka (boyfriend from wellington) and I went on an overnight boat cruise which gave us the chance to see the stunning area with just a small group. Despite the pouring rain we went fishing (someone caught a shark!), pulled up lobster pots, played cards, ate crayfish and venison and bonded with the group over a few bottles of wine.

The highlight for me was having a pod of dolphins perform acrobats alongside the boat and looking at the hundreds of waterfalls cascading around us. There was a wee stove in the boat that I snuggled up against for much of the trip as it reached freezing temperatures outside (this was in summer!). We were so well fed and looked after, I would recommend Deep Cove Cruises to anyone contemplating heading that way.

Our next stop was tourist central, otherwise known as Milford Sound, the drive in was spectacular to say the least. The huge mountains and raging rivers were like nothing I’ve seen before, as we got closer to Milford itself however the rain got harder and once again our efforts at a walk were thwarted. It continued to pour down for hours and hours and it was only the next morning that we got to catch a glimpse of the sound itself - which was nice but we were being attacked by sandflies so couldn’t hang around for long! We then spent some quality time in Glenorchy just north of Queenstown, an excellent spot for chilling out and doing very little!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb