Can it get more beautiful?


Advertisement
Published: October 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

- FOOD: Lunch with the sandflies (don't eat outside here!)

- AREA: Wonderful drive to Milford Sound on the most scenic (and not at all dodgy) road. 2 hour boat trip to view the beautiful scenery of the Sounds.

- PEOPLE: All pointing their cameras in the same direction at the same time. The usual friendliness of NZers in a different pub.

- WEATHER: After rain and avalanches recently, we had sun all day!


Wed 17th: After everyone telling us the road to Milford Sound was difficult and dodgy to drive on and after discovering it had been shut the last 4 days due to bad weather and avalanches, the info woman said it was fine so off we went.
Luck was with us as the sun was shining and the sky was clear blue (it rains one in every 3 days here) and the road couldn't have been better. Not in the least dodgy, paved all the way, hardly any bends, no other vehicles and WOW - possibly the most scenic road in the whole of NZ. There was only one small section of curves and snow clearing vehicles where the avalanche had been but that was it. So glad we ignored the advice of most and didn't take a horrible big tourist bus where everyone jumps out together, clicks away at the views and jump back on the bus 5 seconds later.

There are lots of walks along the way, including a 4 day trek which looks good to do in the summer but our time was too limited to do any.
So we had some lunch along with our uninvited guests - a million sandflies, and took a 2 hour boat trip along the 22k fiord which is a natural wonder of the world (although Doubtful Sounds are supposed to be even more beautiful).
We passed rocks and mountains, 2 waterfalls (one of which is smothered in rainbows), the Hanging Valley which is surrounded by peaks, Mitre Peak which resembles a bishop's mitre and is the highest mountain in the world to rise directly from the ocean floor, seals (EVERYONE was on that side of the boat to snap the shot) - all quite mind blowing.

Back in Te Anau we found a different pub that was much better - food served late, a cozy fire, more people, good atmosphere and above all FRIENDLY staff.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb