Sounds Good


Advertisement
Published: December 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Staying at a little lake town called Te Anau we took a day trip to Milford Sound (which is really a fiord - they spell it different down here). It is about a two hour drive through some fantastic mountain scenery which was even better because there had been fresh snow in the night (it was 3 degrees that day!).

We were not really sure what we would think of it as we have been to the Norwegian fjords which are stunning. Milford was also stunning but in a different way. It is a lot greener with green waters and lots of trees and ferns etc on the mountain sides. We were lucky to get a sunny-ish day with no rain. There had been fresh rain for days so there were loads of waterfalls. The boat got really close and went under a few, even collecting water from one in glasses to let everyone have a taste!

We had another great wildlife encounter; we saw a seal and some Southern bottlenose dolphins. The dolphins were swimming with the boat, right at the bow of the boat and as we were at the front we got a really good view over the side. Well done Sven, who managed to get us a spot right at the front of the boat (although that did mean we got soaked when the boat went under the waterfalls!).



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb