Grant and Rae's NZ Trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
January 18th 2012
Published: January 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

View from the breakfast table...View from the breakfast table...View from the breakfast table...

.....Aoraki Mt Cook - amazing!
Left Mt Cook and stopped off in a few places en route to Dunedin (the so-called Edinburgh of the south): Twisel,Elephant Rocks,(Hampden - just for the toilet and the name),Moeraki Boulders.

Weather still excellent.

The stop at the Elephant Rocks was a deviation from the planned route: it sounded interesting and was! They are large weathered limestone rocks shaped like........you've guessed it,elephants (if you use a little bit of imagination).

Then on to the Moeraki Boulders. One of Rae's friends,Leigh,had told us about these: very strange looking rocks formed by "septarian concretion" - thought that you'd want to know that! Comes about from erosion! We had lunch on the beach while studying them!

And on down to Dunedin with Scottish Shop,Robert Burns Bar - we even walked down Princes St.

Off on a wildlife drive/cruise round the Otago Peninsula tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

One of the Elephant Rocks.......One of the Elephant Rocks.......
One of the Elephant Rocks.......

......with a slightly younger geological specimen beside it.
Elephant Rocks.....Elephant Rocks.....
Elephant Rocks.....

.......they really do look like elephants!
Moer Moeraki Boulders....Moer Moeraki Boulders....
Moer Moeraki Boulders....

.....plus Grant trying to look cool!


18th January 2012

Boulders, etc
Has the broken boulders got anything to do with Rae sitting on them? No snow here, but we have seen snowdrops. Happy travels. Grace & Frank

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb