Day 94


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
February 2nd 2011
Published: February 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This morning, after some breakfast, we decided we needed to see the settlers museum and the Art gallery, so we drove into town, parked up right outside the Settlers Museum and wandered in only to find that almost the entire thing was closed off! Basically, only the main reception and one of the rooms was open as the whole of the rest of the gallery was being refurbished. As a result, this left us with an hour and a half on our parking meter, so we wandered up to the Art gallery and that, like the settlers museum, had most of the rooms closed because they were either taking down or putting up new exhibitions. Was a bit of a disappointment, to be honest, as we’d been really looking forward to both places. After that, as the sun had come out by this stage, we retrieved the car and drove to Baldwin St, where we parked the car at the bottom and we walked up to the top and back down again. Got chatting to a postwoman at the top of the hill and she said they rotate that round every 3 weeks so no one person gets lumbered with having to do it day in and day out! We also noted with interest that she went down the hill crossing the road, thereby making the road less steep! We stopped off to get a $2 certificate to prove we’d been there, then stopped at the bigger souvenir shop around the corner, found a better $2 certificate, and some cool T-shirt and hats, which we purchased, and we went to the Botanical Gardens and spent a couple of hours wandering around there, most impressive! By then, it was getting close to our university guided walk time, so we headed back into town to the iSite, only to discover we’d been given the wrong information and the walk was due to start near the university, so we had a bit of a route march to get to the start, but, thankfully, they’d phoned ahead to advise the guide what had happened, and we enjoyed a couple of hours being walked around some of the main sites of Dunedin university. After that, we’d asked our guide for some recommendations for dinner and, from the selection he’d given us, we chose an Italian restaurant based on the 2nd floor of what was the old Savoy Hotel, so we went there and had a superb dinner, before heading back to the camp site and crashing out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb