Dunedin and Otago Pennisula


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
October 20th 2008
Published: October 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Dunedin, which is supposed to be similar to a Scottish town and first of all checked into a haunted hostel, as you do! There were log books of the ghost sightings and even posters in our room telling us to report any activity. Of course I was too chicken to read any of the log books, just in case all the ghosts happen to have been spotted in our room! The whole time we were there I had goose bumps and kept expected a ghost head to be looking at me on the loo, or in the shower. Luckily we had an unevenful night - I even decided not to get drunk so I wouldn't have to go to the loo in the night...that's how freaked out I was.

We headed off to Otago Pennisula, which is popular for penguins, seals and albatross. The scenery is pretty with lots of windy roads and a drive along the coast. I ended up going on a penguin hunt with a woman who is a guide there. The two of us treked along these little trenches so you can see the penguins in their nests. It was breeding season, so we basically saw the penguins sitting on the eggs. Not that much activity to report really, but still cool to see. There were yellow-eyed and blue penguins. They are very modern penguins who share the egg-sitting duties, so they only have one day of sitting around on their bums, and then one day of fishing. Apparently my guide said that some peope have come away from the "penguin tour" thinking that they spent the whole time looking at ducks, and wondering where the penguins were - the clue is in the title.

We also squeezed in a tour at Cadbury World, and had "Cocoa Joe" as our guide. I think that was his real name. We had a sugar rush for the rest of the day. To top it all off, we ended up going to Baldwin Street to (according to the Guiness Book of Records) the world's steepest street. It was a steep climb. That was that really. Just one steep street.

We left Dunedin and also saw the boulders in the sea, which are basically just boulders in the sea. Would have looked good for Sunrise I think.






Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb